News   Apr 03, 2020
 5.5K     1 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.3K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 4.3K     0 

Calgary International Airport

Interesting I didn't know when when I connect in an airport I pay the fee once, even if it is a long connection and I leave the airport.

The airport should want to count how many people are paying fees, wouldn't they be interested in predicting how much money they bring in based on these numbers?

Do you see what I'm saying?
That's not completely true, they do collect the AIF if your connection is over 4 hours for NA and 24 hours for international. So if you spend a day in Calgary on a connection, you'll likely be paying the AIF twice.

This ratio is reasonably consistent over time; it was 0.315 in 2022 (4548.5/14452.1). Here's the ratio over time:
View attachment 603340
The operating detail is not reported prior to the 2021 financial report (which includes both 2020 and 2019 operating information), however in the previous financial reports, the airport improvement fee revenue is reported; it's a fixed amount ($30 at the time) per passenger and applied to all originating passengers (i.e. at initial enplaning), so a very good estimate of local enplanements can be made. While the chart looks like a lot of change, note the axis; the total range is 6 percentage points, but excluding 2020, the range is about 0.02. The higher the ratio, the fewer connecting passengers there are.
Thanks for the historical data. It's interesting to see despite the rise in international and transborder routes, which many attribute to WJ growing the US - YYC - Canada/International connection, people leaving from Calgary is actually increasing as a proportion of all travelers.

Back