News   Apr 03, 2020
 5.4K     1 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.2K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 4.3K     0 

Calgary International Airport

I'd go bigger; a comprehensive and cohesive transportation plan is necessary. I'm talking rail and air. Granted HSR is much more difficult to justify in the west but out east someone needs to standup and properly plan our transportation networks. And eventually, if we want to improve our living standard, HSR between bigger western cities is important (Winnipeg, Regina, Saskatoon, Calgary, Edmonton, Kelowna, Kamloops, and Vancouver). If we continue to concentrate our growth in so few cities, those tier 2 cities will begin to become unaffordable as well.
Agreed. And our current tax-funded plans to build more and more housing in extremely congested major cities is really a short term band-aid. An HSR between Toronto-Ottawa-Montreal would unlock a whole slew of new housing opportunities. A HSR/High frequency rail between Calgary and Edmonton (which is mostly flat with existing highway ROW) would bring a lot more places within commutable distances.

Funny enough, Air Canada seems to agree about everyone's thoughts on HSR....

To be fair, this is High "Frequency" rail, won't have as much of an impact on YYZ-YUL. They probably want a role to ensure there's good connection to YYZ which would benefit them.

Yikes, 18 months. It's been a rough year at YYC between the Westjet Mechanics' strike and the hailstorm, with a possible Air Canada strike on the horizon as well...

I have flown Flair and I'd be reluctant to fly them again unless the fares resulted in massive savings. My last flight with them, from the US, was delayed for hours and I ended up getting home at 3:30 am. The staff were fine, but the delays seem to be the rule rather than the exception. And then there's the fact that they charge for EVERYTHING, even carry-on bags. And if you need to contact their customer service line, they charge $20 for that too.

If you're wanting an alternative from WJ and AC, at least for domestic, try Porter. Free carry on, free wifi, only 2 seats per side, free wine and beer, all with prices comparable to the big boys.

Only the base fare. Pretty sure their base fares on some route are pretty close to that already. Most of it is in the taxes/fees and everything they charge aside from the ticket. Not sure if still the case but during the pandemic, Toronto-Calgary flights had no water service.

Flew them a few times during the pandemic, maybe I was the outlier, but no complaints. Get you from A to B and that's about it. With airports being busier now, delays with Flair can get frustrating, since they basically have no slack in their system. If you are on a less frequent route, it might be a couple days until your rescheduled flights. They also qualify for less compensation because they're not considered a large airline.

I flew WestJet earlier this week and noticed they now have a boarding zone 9. I guess that's for the UltraBasic passengers?
Yes it is. Last to board and announcement made in the boarding area re: carry on baggage. And as per my recent experience, cannot change seats on board even if there’s space “because I chose not to pay to select a seat”.

Yes it is. Last to board and announcement made in the boarding area re: carry on baggage. And as per my recent experience, cannot change seats on board even if there’s space “because I chose not to pay to select a seat”.
Sounds about right. Am I the only one finding Westjet's level of service and general value is not what it used to be? I'm not even sure if they are any better than Air Canada anymore.

Am I the only one finding Westjet's level of service and general value is not what it used to be?
When Swoop was integrated in, WestJet said they would integrate Swoop's level of service into their mainline. Makes things a bit incoherent but oh well. Maybe I would have kept the swoop brand alive but labeled all flights as code share to better differentiate the levels of service, but alas.

Sounds about right. Am I the only one finding Westjet's level of service and general value is not what it used to be? I'm not even sure if they are any better than Air Canada anymore.
Folks complained when low cost carriers disappeared the past few years. This gives travellers more options. Those booking the fare class know what they are getting. A cheaper priced ticket with very few options. Just like Swoop customers got. Now on Mainline. I’ve flown it and have zero complaints. I have a WS credit card so I just check my luggage for free. If you don’t like it, book the next price level

Folks complained when low cost carriers disappeared the past few years. This gives travellers more options. Those booking the fare class know what they are getting. A cheaper priced ticket with very few options. Just like Swoop customers got. Now on Mainline. I’ve flown it and have zero complaints. I have a WS credit card so I just check my luggage for free. If you don’t like it, book the next price level
That would be fine, but what I have found is that they just keep reducing what is included in a base fare without reducing the price of the base fare. Compared to, say, Porter, I find I have been getting less for the same price.

I do hear great things about the Westjet Credit Card though.

That would be fine, but what I have found is that they just keep reducing what is included in a base fare without reducing the price of the base fare. Compared to, say, Porter, I find I have been getting less for the same price.

I do hear great things about the Westjet Credit Card though.
WS and all airlines in North America have slipped their service. Either it be on time service, cancelled flights, poor customer service or just in flight product. Of course Porter probably has a better in flight service (it has too, to attract new customers) but they have lots of their own issues (ie. poor on time , small network out west)
WS credit card is nice. The companion passes and free checked bag for all that you book easily pays the yearly fee. Plus the WS $$ you collect.

Having traveled on both recently, I have to say Air Canada now has the superior product. From their app, to their staff, to onboard experience, to assistance during IROPs. WestJet is not what it used to be and it has a lot of low cost competitors nipping at its heels.

Back