Green Line LRT | ?m | ?s | Calgary Transit

I am surprised it is underground. Way more money, but I guess to make the geometry work it is needed.
Would have to be a lot more money for sure. That must have been the reason for doing it, so kind of a silver lining in the cloud that is extra cost.

I wonder how much say Harvard has these days? I recall Harvard having a certain amount of time (10 years maybe?) to do the development, and if they didn't do it, the city could go a different direction.
I'm pretty sure the city has some sort of buyback option on the purchase contract. But I remember reading somewhere that Harvard bought the 70 year leasehold interest on the land before the city sold them the land so I imagine there are some legal issues that need to be ironed out

Would have to be a lot more money for sure. That must have been the reason for doing it, so kind of a silver lining in the cloud that is extra cost.
I think it might not actually be technically underground - it looks like Eau Claire might be closure on Day 1 to a trenched station a bit like 45 Street SW Station. I think the intention would be to cap it with development, which is why they bring up the library example in the documentation. I vaguely recall Vancouver having a station or two that was very similar on their original 1980s Expo line where it wasn't fully underground but designed to be capped over with redevelopment which occurred a decade or two later.

You are correct. City will build the trenched station, Harvard will cap it with their re-development which will give it the illusion of being completely underground and why that language is being used in the public presentations.

I thought it was already well understood that the $4.9 billion price tag didn't include the City's borrowing costs? Well, I guess that will be debated and discussed when it goes to Council next Monday now:

Another question someone here might no, at the committee meeting it came out that the City has already spent $543 million on planning and enabling works. Is this part of the cost of the $4.9 billion, or is it on top of it?

That’s why it would be so stupid, almost disastrous for the project to be shelved.

On Monday, an alternative Centre-City plan will go before council as well. I like the idea in some ways, but it should only be considered if it includes an extension of the SE phase one to Mahogany Station, or at least McKenzie Station at worst. Now that the line has been neutered going over the river and haphazardly swooping onto one of the busiest bridges in the province, there’s no point in going north until we can do it right.

greenline-downtown-and-routejune2020.png

I thought it was already well understood that the $4.9 billion price tag didn't include the City's borrowing costs? Well, I guess that will be debated and discussed when it goes to Council next Monday now:

Another question someone here might no, at the committee meeting it came out that the City has already spent $543 million on planning and enabling works. Is this part of the cost of the $4.9 billion, or is it on top of it?

It's part of the $4.9 billion project capital cost

Just start already. Any part. I’m gonna run out of lifespan waiting at this rate. How many decades do we discuss this further?

Now that the line has been neutered going over the river and haphazardly swooping onto one of the busiest bridges in the province, there’s no point in going north until we can do it right.

Why is it "haphazard"? Seems like a good plan to me. The centre street bridge will be reduced to two lanes one way or the other to make room for the BRT. Running an LRT along Centre Street North would be a HUGE improvement to the area. It would turn suburban-style thoroughfare with a few struggling strip malls into one of the premier main streets in the city.

Greenline debate/discussion and vote will start at 3:45 PM on Tuesday, June 16th. There is a big agenda for the Council meeting, so they have scheduled it for this specific time slot to make it easier for everyone to tune in for it.

Back