Green Line LRT | ?m | ?s | Calgary Transit

Best direction for the Green line at this point?

• Go ahead with the current option of Eau Claire to Lynbrook and phase in extensions.

Votes: 41 61.2%
  • Re-design the whole system

Votes: 21 31.3%
  • Cancel it altogether

Votes: 5 7.5%

• Total voters
Is there a chance the federal money gets scrapped if there’s an early election in the spring and the Liberals are replaced?
IMO the chances are zero. The liberals wouldn’t cancel a transit project and the conservatives wouldn’t want to mess with their western base and will likely be hands off and just hand out things.

Plus, there's an upcoming round of federal funding incoming in the next couple of years. The current money has been allocated since 2015. The messaging from the feds with the most recent drama was disappointment with the UCP political moves jeopardizing the project. Now that Shepard is back in play for the first phase, can't imagine they'll fuck with the money since there's nothing to be gained by doing so even if the conservatives get in early.

I don't think so - the initial funding in 2015 that started the ball rolling came from Harper.
And Kenney was the transport minister. But he changed his tune when he became Premier.

I basically don’t trust conservatives at any level of government not to mess with this and politicize it. Logically I agree it makes no sense for them to pull back funding. But there was no logic in what Dreeshan and Smith did either. Poilievre seems every bit as petty and populist as our Premier. It’s unknown how he will behave.

I’ve basically lost all faith waiting a decade for this project to be built. I’ll be in disbelief when it actually gets built.

I'd love to believe that a future federal conservative government would maintain a consistent position vis-a-vis the Harper conservatives, but I'm not convinced. PP seems to be a fan of TOD and densification but his base sure isn't.

The "conservative" ideology has become increasingly inconsistent. It's unpredictable, reactionary populism at its worst. Absolutely chock-full of contradictions and hypocrisy.

It makes it very difficult to predict where a project like the green line will go. Any attempts at understanding it through a coherent a policy framework are wasted. It will be the whims of lobbyists and special interest groups that will determine the future of this and other rail projects. Gone are the days of stable, predictable worldview.

From an ideology of sensible investment and neoliberal pragmatism, conservatives have instead become the overly sensitive, identity-obsessed, pandering, big-government, ideologues that they once pretended to criticize.
Free speech "absolutists" that sure can't handle speech that offends them personally.

I won't attempt to provide any localized examples, lest my post be deleted again.

I completely agree Ramsayite. Not even the fact that the Greenline is going to solidly conservative ridings appears to help. Hopefully by the time the Federal election dust settles the money will already be banked. As for Smith and Poilievre, they will likely have a chummy relationship so there wouldn’t be a clash.

Unless she’s pretending to support it, only for PP to take over, scrap the carbon tax then proclaim it was fake Trudeau money so the Feds can’t honour the deal anymore.

Do we have an idea where they can make the turn into downtown though. 2nd? That is an issue with elevated. You can’t turn that thing on a dime between 2 towers.
There is room on 10th. Barely room on others but you need air easements. To make the curves you need to start the curve southwards before completing the curve northwards. Lets the turn start earlier.

This page from the 2008 Downtown LRT study says the minimum turning radius for a low floor LRV can be less than 20 metres and if you think of the low floor LRVs used in tram and streetcar systems, they frequently conduct 90⁰ turns at roadway intersections. With that in mind, I'm sure a low-speed turn from either 11th Ave or 10th Ave onto 2nd St could be conducted within an elevated guideway. Of course it would impact travel times but would still be better than the traffic lights on 7th Ave the Red/Blue lines deal with.

1000021990.jpg

Back