Green Line LRT | ?m | ?s | Calgary Transit

Best direction for the Green line at this point?

• Go ahead with the current option of Eau Claire to Lynbrook and phase in extensions.

Votes: 41 61.2%
  • Re-design the whole system

Votes: 21 31.3%
  • Cancel it altogether

Votes: 5 7.5%

• Total voters
I don't mean to sound insensitive, a tragedy for sure....but how does it have anything to do with transit? The person crossed an uncontrolled intersection in an industrial park, in the dark, where a controlled access exists 1 block to the east....
I think it's because we use mega transit projects to justify every day upgrades to places that are lacking. But we leave them lacking otherwise. So not directly related but I get the link.

I don't mean to sound insensitive, a tragedy for sure....but how does it have anything to do with transit? The person crossed an uncontrolled intersection in an industrial park, in the dark, where a controlled access exists 1 block to the east....
Firstly, you're suggesting a 270 meter detour, half of which is poorly lit with no sidewalk at all and requires you to walk right beside the curb if you want it to be remotely flat. And then you have to hope that the beg button actually works and that drivers still see you.

It's relevant because transit creates a lot of pedestrians who have to walk to/from stations...Let's look at walking from Highfield Station:

East-north = 200 meters before sidewalks disappear entirely
East-east = 150 meters
East-south = sidewalk is contiguous after you cross twice at a signalled intersection, where the fairly new ramps don't actually align with the crosswalks

Screenshot 2024-10-06 at 9.38.12 AM.png

The other option is to head southwest with a decent MUP up a steep hill, that also branches onto 12th St. But off the main drags you're very likely to run out of infrastructure:

First opportunity to turn north has a 100m gap with no sidewalk. First chance to turn south has no sidewalks at all. No sidewalks or crosswalks if you want to head east off 12th St to any of the 25+ employers in a big crescent there.

There is risk every time active modes interact with vehicles, even with the best possible infrastructure design. We know the risk is way higher in these industrial areas. GL means more spins of the roulette wheel. It's not a reason to not build it, but its worthy of discussion.

A question I have is: would the increase in pedestrians in these areas legitimately bump it higher in the priorities queue for mobility upgrades? Depends on the criteria. It should definitely be a priority to add ~270 meters of sidewalk (crossing 5 driveways and needing 2 ramps at 34 Ave) to connect the existing sidewalks on Ogden Rd between Highfield and 34 Ave. But there are also still hundreds of straight curbs at intersections/amenity access points in post-war neighbourhoods that are being gradually chipped away at. Could we do a dozen more for the same cost as the Ogden Rd project? Which offers better value? I'm probably an enigmatic anecdote, but the state of sidewalks was a major factor for me to purchase a house on the low density west side of Sarcee Tr instead of a higher density infill to the east.

Back