Green Line LRT | ?m | ?s | Calgary Transit

Best direction for the Green line at this point?

• Go ahead with the current option of Eau Claire to Lynbrook and phase in extensions.

Votes: 39 60.0%
  • Re-design the whole system

Votes: 21 32.3%
  • Cancel it altogether

Votes: 5 7.7%

• Total voters
That seems like the biggest no brainer. Thanks for the info. I didn’t realize or remember that the UCP ordered them to build to Eau Claire. What a colossal waste of time! I’ll be happy if it gets that section built in the end. I do fear Nenshi will be the only option to get anything north built in the future though.
It wasn’t exactly that. But I can see how it could be spun that way. The city plan at the time was exceedingly risky. Because it could have let the tunnel eat the project but you’re stuck with the full line to Sheppard. So all that is left is either stopping (and breaking your funding agreements with the feds and province), or finding more money, or, and it seems exceedingly unlikely given how much councillors have been poisoned on the ideas: considering exactly what is being considered today: elevated on 2nd or alternative service plans.

As far as i know AECON is contactor and not designing firm which only do construction and not involved in design project. Might be AECOM?
It is AECOM, a very well-known, world-wide established EPC, EPCM, design and build, NEC designer: a very good company to work for and with. AECON is the construction wing. You will get at least 3 to 6 designs for an at-grade solution. 3 will be throw-aways i.e. not feasible, whereas, the remainder will have pros and cons for discussion.
Alberta sounds progressive with its approach, whereas, Calgary think they are but caught punching well above their weight: a common problem when amateurs manage megaprojects.

It is AECOM, a very well-known, world-wide established EPC, EPCM, design and build, NEC designer: a very good company to work for and with. AECON is the construction wing. You will get at least 3 to 6 designs for an at-grade solution. 3 will be throw-aways i.e. not feasible, whereas, the remainder will have pros and cons for discussion.
Alberta sounds progressive with its approach, whereas, Calgary think they are but caught punching well above their weight: a common problem when amateurs manage megaprojects.
In what way does Alberta sound progressive with its approach? They waited until the late stages of procurement to throw a fit and pull funding when they could just as easily have done it sooner if they really wanted this outcome with far less damage done to the city. It's not like AECOM is some kind of godsend compared to WSP, they had a mandate to deliver a tunnel and it is what it is at this point. The province was fully aware of this.

The real Alberta problem was the August letter. I’m sure the city actioned a bunch of long lead time and cost hedge contracts soon after.

Back