Green Line LRT | ?m | ?s | Calgary Transit

Best direction for the Green line at this point?

• Go ahead with the current option of Eau Claire to Lynbrook and phase in extensions.

Votes: 39 60.9%
  • Re-design the whole system

Votes: 20 31.3%
  • Cancel it altogether

Votes: 5 7.8%

• Total voters
It was because the City doesn't own the land for 5th Street, Remington does, and they (Remington) were not willing to part with it.
Neither did the Eau Claire condo owners...

I would have thought that parcel was contiguous right up to the bus barns. It appears to be that way on the property tax map, but showing a ROW for 6th (though I suspect that was recently negotiated...)

I don't see how this could be true for any part of 2 St, except for the 1.5 blocks south of 9 Ave? And I guess the northernmost part of it at Eau Claire.

That said, I am cool with elevated tracks along 2 St. I just don't see what you mean by "dead zone".
Apologies, not the best use of words. I mean in regards of CRU's, there isn't anything being lost by the impacts of a elevated line. It doesn't have the urban realm potential like 1 Street SW or what they would like 3 Street SW to be like in the core. Those are streets that should be protected. 2 Street can function as a elevated transit corridor.

It was because the City doesn't own the land for 5th Street, Remington does, and they (Remington) were not willing to part with it.
I believe the problem with 5th street was the province owning the parcels for the future rail station that they've owned for almost 2 decades now. Can't cut the access. Can't expropriate them.

I don't see how this could be true for any part of 2 St, except for the 1.5 blocks south of 9 Ave? And I guess the northernmost part of it at Eau Claire.

That said, I am cool with elevated tracks along 2 St. I just don't see what you mean by "dead zone".
IIRC from doing a street view tour there doesn't seem to be a single street level CRU between Eau Clair and 9th

So options for mitigating issues with elevated in urban environments, China edition, Xi'an's Line 5 Phase 1 East:
1726872713292.png

1726872755495.png

Line 3 with sound wall on 1 side.
1726872952261.png

Isn't this why other regions have more centralized transit/rail planning things like translink? Rail Alberta...
Yeah something to mimic TransLink or metrolinx was sort of what I had in mind. Will be interesting to see what comes of Rail Alberta, but between the cities transit networks, HSR and tourist or commuter rail projects there should be plenty of steady work for decades.

Elevated was taken off the table by adjacent land owners, who expressed that the 'tax shift' from downtown businesses to other businesses would be quite bad if their buildings were devalued further by adjacent elevated rail. This was in the 2016-17 context where that was a huge concern for the City. It is not a technical issue.
That seems wildly shortsighted.. Wouldn't a building close to a new transit line be more desirable, not less?

Was there opposition like that to linking buildings into the +15 network when it was rolled out?

Back