Glenmore Landing | 115m | 35s | RioCan | NORR

At least these hypothetical future car users have adopted the next generation of compact smartcar as their daily driver...
Screenshot_20240111-101313~2.png

A friend lives in Haysboro and is against this because "they're going to build six sky scrapers and block out the sun,".
You can see that earlier in the thread - the city made a render of what the shadows would look at some darker time of the year (because they have to make these kinds of renderings). Haysboro definitely had a few blocks east of 14th in shadow. I think people saw that and it got shared around with some worst-case commentary.

I know more than one family who moved to Chinook Park/Kelvin Grove on the "promise" of there never being any multi-family built in the area.
Chinook Park definitely has multifamily along Elbow Drive. Kelvin Grove has even more, including notable landmark Mayfair Place. (Kelvin Grove is an interesting community to me. It's like 50% apartments + commercial, and 50% 4-bedroom 1960s houses on estate sized lots).

But I can kind of see where they get the "no multifamily" idea because there aren't any infills in the area, which is a contrast to Kingsland on the other side of Elbow. I'm not sure whether that's due to zoning or restrictive covenants.

No covenants. The zoning differences beyond the pocket of RC2 which support the 1960s up down, side side quad rentals north of 69th and east of the alley east of 5th street are minimal. Difference in standard lot shapes might come into play with subdivision rules? I'd guess land economics more than anything. The lift from subdivision versus an up market rebuild aren't enough.
1704998891775.png

Difference in standard lot shapes might come into play with subdivision rules?
Right, there are more of the typical 1950s/earlier rectangular 50x120 lots in Kingsland, and Chinook Park has more pie lots, and some rectangular lots that are more like 60x100.

Who wants to get angry this morning? Haven't seen this one:

https://www.stopthetowers.ca/

Complete with imaginary traffic chaos and fake renders!
View attachment 532589
Well they do indicate on the webpage that these renderings were not developed by RioCan or any affiliates with RioCan, including the Consultants, if I read correctly. The traffic scenario is beautiful. Looks more like a collection of
motorcades getting ready for a follow up on Borat Subsequent Moviefilm.

1) perception that multifamily/renters will bring bad elements and reduce the value of neighborhood houses.
Because we've had affordable SFHs for decades we've had a low ratio of renters, and a stigma has formed towards renters, though I do feel like the stigma is going away, as the number of renters increase.
This is the biggest issue IMO. To be fair, here in Calgary with such a high ratio of homeowners in past years often times renters were the less desirables in the neighborhood and gave the good renters a bad name.
Before anyone jumps on me, I’m not saying that renters are bad of course, only that Calgary is an outlier compared to other cities in that back in the 70s 80s etc. we had a very high ratio of ownership I think 76% or something like that. Many of the renters, who fell into the rental pool were often in the less desirable category, and I saw that in my neighbourhood growing up. That stigma of the past stays with a lot of people and it’s a hard to get rid of.

Obviously things are different now in 2023 and unfortunately, it’s a case of old stereotypes not easily dying.

Back