Glenmore Landing | 115m | 35s | RioCan | NORR

The required road improvements complete with the engineers scribbles haha. Adding more turning lanes mostly and a dual right turn with traffic lights from Southbound 14st to Westbound 90th Ave. Similar to Southbound Blackfoot right turn onto Westbound Southland Dr.
View attachment 520281
Lol - nothing says urban tower development and walkable Transit Oriented Development like dual right-turn slip lanes, modelled after the urban best practice of "Blackfoot Trail and Southland Drive". Our traffic engineers must be bored. What a silly "requirement".

The site concept and layout looks well organized otherwise. Great direct connection envisioned from the park directly through the development to the BRT.

I attended the webinar about this development. I took some screenshots of the slides they showed. They have reduced the buildings heights due to community concerns. Pretty long term project, final phases we're talking 20+ years. Entire site will have underground parking.

The slide showing the revised building heights.

View attachment 520279

The required road improvements complete with the engineers scribbles haha. Adding more turning lanes mostly and a dual right turn with traffic lights from Southbound 14st to Westbound 90th Ave. Similar to Southbound Blackfoot right turn onto Westbound Southland Dr.
View attachment 520281

Long term the entire site will have underground parking and the blue arrow is their approximate idea of where they'd like the access to the retail underground parking to be located.

View attachment 520282
Drove by here last night, there is no room with the BRT underpass for a beefed up right-turn lane from SB 14th on to 90th. I can't imagine them digging that up and redoing it again but maybe.

IMG_0367.png

I can't believe ~2700 people are against this, that's incredible.

All I can think of is that it's a 'give an inch and they'll take a mile' mentality, ie if we allow any towers our suburban communities will be destroyed with towers everywhere.

Last edited:
Ward Councillor Penner hit the nail on the head, when in the article, she said it’s never functioned as a park and unless the supposed users want some benches installed to watch the traffic go by, then it will never function well as a park.

This opposition is probably little to do with the green space itself and more about the development, but even that is a stretch because it is on the edge of the community, actually across the street, so it shouldn’t seriously affect shadowing or views or property values.

It's infuriating how people are allowed to delay and cause a significant reduction in density for projects like this, which are isolated away from local single-family homes. Whether you agree with politicians like Pierre Pillovrre or not, I think it's good that gatekeepers and opponents are being finally called out for exacerbating the housing crisis. Twenty-five storeys' worth of floors have already been scaled back from the original height proposal, resulting in over 100 fewer housing units for people to live in. I can recall many other projects discussed on these forums that have been caught up in height issues, only to be shelved away eventually.

No one can enter a perpetual contract, not even the city. Only if there is a restrictive covenant attached to the parcel and the counter party still exists and wants to enforce, that could be possible.

A quick title search shows no restrictive covenant.
Turns out there is a restrictive covenant but the counter party to the city is the defunct Intrawest, which only has Canadian interests in Quebec and their focus is 15+ ski resorts in the USA.

So if RioCan wants it anyways, more power to them.

Back