Glenmore Landing | 115m | 35s | RioCan | NORR

2012 Traffic and Ped Counts at the intersection:
Hoo boy, that's an old count. I know it's the most recent available, but it's over a decade old. A couple of points:
  • 6 hour counts don't include evening or weekend traffic which I would expect would be high for accessing a shopping centre and regional park
  • Comparing the 2012 to the same location in 2001 (the previous count), in 2012 the car traffic is 85% of the 2001 volume but the ped crossing traffic is 150% of the 2001 volume.
  • The next intersection over, 19th St, has a somewhat more recent count, 2018; here compared to 2001 volumes, car traffic is 80% and ped traffic is 276%.
I think a little cycling improvement in the area is warranted, here's the intersection from the north side facing east:
1697690661484.png

You're apparently supposed to bike into uncontrolled traffic, then bunny hop the median, then go across another traffic lane? WTF?

But this isn't a regional issue that should have an effect on this project; this should be a small, cheap fix -- in addition to extending this pathway along the 90th ave ROW all the way west.

Hoo boy, that's an old count. I know it's the most recent available, but it's over a decade old. A couple of points:
  • 6 hour counts don't include evening or weekend traffic which I would expect would be high for accessing a shopping centre and regional park
  • Comparing the 2012 to the same location in 2001 (the previous count), in 2012 the car traffic is 85% of the 2001 volume but the ped crossing traffic is 150% of the 2001 volume.
  • The next intersection over, 19th St, has a somewhat more recent count, 2018; here compared to 2001 volumes, car traffic is 80% and ped traffic is 276%.
I think a little cycling improvement in the area is warranted, here's the intersection from the north side facing east:
View attachment 514030
You're apparently supposed to bike into uncontrolled traffic, then bunny hop the median, then go across another traffic lane? WTF?

But this isn't a regional issue that should have an effect on this project; this should be a small, cheap fix -- in addition to extending this pathway along the 90th ave ROW all the way west.
I'm wondering if the real opposition to the 'parkland' being turned over to the developer is the loss of prime lawn sign real estate (and that is from July 2023 so no there is not an election on)
1697737549428.png

I'm wondering if the real opposition to the 'parkland' being turned over to the developer is the loss of prime lawn sign real estate (and that is from July 2023 so no there is not an election on)
View attachment 514108
That's just it. On top of the signs, it's not exactly park space anyone utilizes, just typical treeless boulevard waste. Someone had mentioned they could take this land and add park space on the north or west where there is actual park space. That could help appease the opposition.

Exactly, it's not like this is some expansive urban garden supplying free fresh food to Calgarians.

View attachment 514108
Keep in mind, we aren't even losing this part of the greenspace - all the signs can stay. Goes to just how setback the development - current and future - really is.

1697746848462.png

View attachment 514108

I posted this to r/Calgary. Hopefully, it can convince some people that the land is useless in its current form.

Edit: Wow, it's actually gaining some good traction. Maybe this will convince some people on the fence.
fajowojwa.PNG

Edit 2: It's working
asckp.PNG

awfjoajof.PNG

Edit 3: Holy
awfjojofsa.PNG

Attachments

• FAWJFJPWA.PNG
    FAWJFJPWA.PNG
    6.1 KB · Views: 48
Last edited:
(Haysboro has gained population, but I'd bet that's almost entirely near Macleod, and most of that is in the London towers.)

View attachment 513748

Could also be the slow generational shift happening in Haysboro in the last 5 to 10 years. Elderly empty nest original home owners either selling their house or dying off and Yuppies with small children moving in. I've seen a lot more young families around here lately.

Not exactly news, but I thought I'd post it anyways.

"Karen Pauling Shepard was one of a dozen people knocking on doors in neighbourhoods surrounding Glenmore Landing, and collecting signatures against the proposal."
Oh isn't that fitting, a "Karen" being a NIMBYist.

check out the Brentwood in YVR, we are still debating this... we are out of time guys...
I disagree. As long as potential TOD sites are occupied by parking lots and low value buildings like strip malls, they are still available. Calgary has a much less mature real estate market, likely as it doesn't face the geographic or regulatory barriers of west coast cities.

I attended the webinar about this development. I took some screenshots of the slides they showed. They have reduced the buildings heights due to community concerns. Pretty long term project, final phases we're talking 20+ years. Entire site will have underground parking.

The slide showing the revised building heights.

2023-11-14 (8).png

The required road improvements complete with the engineers scribbles haha. Adding more turning lanes mostly and a dual right turn with traffic lights from Southbound 14st to Westbound 90th Ave. Similar to Southbound Blackfoot right turn onto Westbound Southland Dr.
2023-11-14 (11).png

Long term the entire site will have underground parking and the blue arrow is their approximate idea of where they'd like the access to the retail underground parking to be located.

2023-11-14 (9).png

Back