Gallery First & Tenth | 70m | 18s | Truman I FAAS

Decided to give the 'paint removed' render another try based on the correct brick colour

View attachment 454807

FbOqCll.jpg

XXU99aE.jpg

Allied did something similar with the Five Roses property on 10th Ave

2009.PNG

20092.PNG

Present
731-739-10-Ave-SW-Calgary-AB-Building-Photo-1-LargeHighDefinition.jpg

731-739-10-Ave-SW-Calgary-AB-Building-Photo-5-LargeHighDefinition.jpg

It’s sad to see the back lot, go, but I have to agree. The city can’t be in a situation where they are deciding what developments can and can’t go ahead based on who the current users are.
If business demand is there, the owners of the Backlot should be able to set up again in a new location.

I'm always excited for new high-density developments, but I hope some of the current restaurants there find their way. I frequent Cafe Med and they just finished their renovations a couple years ago, and D.O.P. is fantastic and I don't think they've been open for much longer than a year!
D.O.P will be relocating to the grain exchange building.
D.O.P.png

That is fantastic. There are soon to be two empty spaces in Grain Exchange, would be great to see another one of the spaces in this block move there too, and maybe another into the space next door where Cafe Koi was.

If this can’t be stopped or at least altered to accommodate community-scaled retail, it would be ideal to keep the existing businesses nearby 🤷🏻‍♂️

Interesting take on a bus stop!
I don't get why they put the stop half-way down the block, apart from the fact that that's where the stop is today - which I assume was always due to the super narrow sidewalk near the corner. With that resolved, shouldn't the bus stop move back to the corner like is typical practice?

Also I don't get these one-off bus stop designs - bus stops are a service and should be consistently branded to wayfinding and ease of use. I am assuming some bizarre density bonusing calculation, but really doesn't add anything to the transit service apart from a future one-off liability and reduced wayfinding.

All that said - public realm looks great here. And they seemed to somehow avoid having random steps up to the retail!

Last edited:
Can someone explain the Chinatown commemorative wall on the south side? Chinatown, on 10th Ave?
10th Avenue & 1st Street SW was the location of the second Chinatown in Calgary after it was first displaced from its original location on Stephen Ave and 2nd Street SW by the Great Calgary Fire of 1886. Chinatown was ultimately forced to move again to their current home at the base of the Street Street Bridge after CN Rail announced plans for a train station and a hotel in the 10th Avenue location, which drove up land speculation.

Chinatown was threatened again in the 1970's when the proposed "Downtown Penetrator", which was a freeway designed to run along the Bow River and through Chinatown, would have destroyed the community. Members of the Chinese-Calgarian community with the help of MLA George Ho Lem successfully killed the proposal. There has been a long history of the displacement of Calgary's Chinatown and many attempts to gentrify the community.

10th Avenue & 1st Street SW was the location of the second Chinatown in Calgary after it was first displaced from its original location on Stephen Ave and 2nd Street SW by the Great Calgary Fire of 1886. Chinatown was ultimately forced to move again to their current home at the base of the Street Street Bridge after CN Rail announced plans for a train station and a hotel in the 10th Avenue location, which drove up land speculation.

Chinatown was threatened again in the 1970's when the proposed "Downtown Penetrator", which was a freeway designed to run along the Bow River and through Chinatown, would have destroyed the community. Members of the Chinese-Calgarian community with the help of MLA George Ho Lem successfully killed the proposal. There has been a long history of the displacement of Calgary's Chinatown and many attempts to gentrify the community.
Anyone who helped kill the downtown penetrator plan deserves a plaque even if it's not in Chinatown :)

Anyone who helped kill the downtown penetrator plan deserves a plaque even if it's not in Chinatown :)
For sure. It would have also destroyed Eau Claire, both the recreational wonderland that it is and the most expensive real estate property in Calgary. We have enough semi-freeways that roll through our downtown. Now let's fix that.

Back