Gallery First & Tenth | 70m | 18s | Truman I FAAS

MichaelS

Member Bio
Reaction score
I noticed this on the Truman Homes website this morning. Can anyone place the location, based on the buildings in the background? First & Tenth to me seems like 10th Ave and 1st Street SW, but I can't quite place those other buildings......

1658501798188.png

I noticed this on the Truman Homes website this morning. Can anyone place the location, based on the buildings in the background? First & Tenth to me seems like 10th Ave and 1st Street SW, but I can't quite place those other buildings......

View attachment 415216
Looks to be here: https://goo.gl/maps/PUmqve7tMM3bQcdCA

It would be unfortunate to lose another heritage building for this.

It's funny. We have so many empty lots or underutilized blocks around the city, but it seems like only the cool blocks that are actually vibrant are the ones getting targeted for development. 😐

Just like the Tigerstedt Block, it looks like a decent design and it’s being done by a reputable developer, but would be replacing a vibrant character block.

Agreed, building is nice but fuck that location. Take the design and plunk it on any one of the million parking lots nearby, the existing building serves a function and is historic. Build the urban fabric stop tearing down buildings and replacing them when we have vast swaths of empty wasteland parking lots.

Agreed, building is nice but fuck that location. Take the design and plunk it on any one of the million parking lots nearby, the existing building serves a function and is historic. Build the urban fabric stop tearing down buildings and replacing them when we have vast swaths of empty wasteland parking lots.
Is there a reason they avoid parking lots? I feel like these developers aren't here to find buildings to tear down on purpose, unless prime location. Like wouldn't it be cheaper to buy that land, then a building and demolish it

Is it boomers that own the parking lots? Or large REITs or corporations who can afford to sit on them for years and years as they wait their turn to have a market favourable enough to meet their ROI targets?
Calgary is a tough market. I doubt many investors buy inner city land with intention to operate it as a parking business over the long term. Predicting demand for commerical and residential real estate is virtually impossible given the boom and bust nature of the local economy, so many sites end up as unintended parking lots. That will slowly change as the inventory of underdeveloped inner city land diminishes over the next few decades.

I was walking past this area today, they were doing some surveying. I thought that was odd until i logged on here.

Back