Flyover Block | 20m | 6s | RNDSQR | FAAS Architecture

As a creative myself, I do prefer murals over advertising...but I have to admit that they are all kind of starting to look the same. Individually they still look cool, but it's as if they all ordered the same mural look off the menu. Geometric shapes, coloured gradients, some vague nature/indigenous/social motif...

Sometimes it would be cool to have a big honkin' neon Coca-Cola sign, or brash video billboard, on the side of a building.

Last edited:
Murals are cool, maybe Calgary artists just seem to do for similar styles.

Maybe for the next one, they have to experiment with a different artistic style or go in a different direction on what is getting painted.
Would be cool if there was an Iginla painting somewhere. Toronto has a lot of Raptors themed murals and graffiti around the inner city.

Art > Advertisements. We've got enough random signs scattered around the city as it is
Completely disagree. I'm talking about LED boards seen in big cities like Dundas Square, not your local realtor's advertisement board on Mcknight! Plus you can showcase art on it as well. Calgary has the lousiest street lighting presence I've seen for such a big city and it's particularly noticeable at night. Most murals are usually noticed once or twice and then its numbed out from the senses.

Last edited:
Completely disagree. I'm talking about LED boards seen in big cities like Dundas Square, not your local realtor's advertisement board on Mcknight! Plus you can showcase art on it as well. Calgary has the lousiest street lighting presence I've seen for such a big city and it's particularly noticeable at night. Most murals are usually noticed once or twice and then its numbed out from the senses.
Or maybe something less bright than the Dundas Square lights, but still electronic. An LED Light grid or microdot wall. The one advantage the Mural has is doesn't need power and it's visible during the day. Maybe they could shine a light on the mural at night or combine the mural with microdot lighting.

We'll have to agree to disagree on this one, I see dundas square as a gross display of everything i hate about capitalism, just loads of ads based around consumerism being shoved in your face. imagine if all those billboards and ads were different pieces of art, now that would be a cool experience.

I do agree that some lighting would be an improvement. A telus sky-esque light installation would be awesome.

. Which is a shame because a Kenny Rogers Roasters Chicken sign would be awesome.
IMG_4356.jpeg

IMG_4357.jpeg

Back