Votes: 21 38.9%
  • Okay

Votes: 14 25.9%
  • Not Great

Votes: 3 5.6%
  • Terrible

Votes: 7 13.0%

• Total voters
There's no question the final product looks similar to the rendering, but has a lot of differences. It's been a roller coaster of a ride.
- We all see the rendering and love it to death
- As it gets built concern starts to set in about the size of the entrance way
- As the material installation begins, emotions go south and a postmortem begins
- The tarp comes off and everyone has a second look at it...hmm not too bad afterall.
- At end as group we are in the middle between the high and low points. The project isn't as we initially expected, but is better than we thought it might be a week ago.

Overall, I think it's a good addition. If the rendering had been more accurate to the final product in the beginning we would have all liked it, and would have been happy with the result.

Last edited:
The top storey also appears to have ended up with noticeably less articulation than shown in the renders. The window/balcony openings also look smaller and more “slit-like” than in the renders — a result of not being able to replicate the renders’ paper-thin floor plates, I guess. But I agree that the biggest disappointment in this comparison is that the retail frontage and staircase to the courtyard are looking far less open, airy and inviting than shown in the renders, even before any shade from future street trees is factored in. I suppose once those retail units are occupied and lit up inside it won’t look quite so dark and uninviting.
There are a few things different with the courtyard stairwell in the rendering, no pillars, the ceiling is higher, that material isn't as see through. It'll be interesting to see how the staircase looks on a sunny day when there's more light.

I really hope they install some interesting lighting in the stairway. A neon lighting installation against the blackness would look really cool.

Spider-Tag-Total-eclipse-of-the-heart-bifido-1.jpg

Now that the scaffolding is down I think the exterior is better than the "giant trash can" I have seen the last few months every time I walk by the building. However the giant beams columns along the sidewalk really take away from the pedestrian experience.

As with the exterior, I won't judge the pedestrian experience until the final product is done, but it feels like this is a big disappointment. I will take the faux European buildings on 22 St over this building all day.

Last edited:
Now that the scaffolding is down I think the exterior is better than the "giant trash can" I have seen the last few months every time I walk by the building. However the giant beams along the sidewalk really take away from the pedestrian experience.

As with the exterior, I won't judge the pedestrian experience until the final product is done, but it feels like this is a big disappointment. I will take the faux European buildings on 22 St over this building all day.

havent seen the sidewalk but feels like its going to be a tight fit for trees

havent seen the sidewalk but feels like its going to be a tight fit for trees

There is only about maybe 8 feet from the beams columns to the road. Once the trees are added in, the pedestrian area is not much more than a standard residential sidewalk.

Walking alongside the building, it felt like a similar street front treatment to 5th ave downtown. The entrance to the courtyard feels like you're walking up to the smoking pits on the +15 level like this. Given the ample South facing area with no buildings to block the sun, it really feels like a wasted opportunity for a wide pedestrian space with potential for a small patio to take advantage of the location.

There is only about maybe 8 feet from the beams columns to the road. Once the trees are added in, the pedestrian area is not much more than a standard residential sidewalk.

Walking alongside the building, it felt like a similar street front treatment to 5th ave downtown. The entrance to the courtyard feels like you're walking up to the smoking pits on the +15 level like this. Given the ample South facing area with no buildings to block the sun, it really feels like a wasted opportunity for a wide pedestrian space with potential for a small patio to take advantage of the location.

It's kind of hard to see, but appears as part of the Main Street work 33rd is losing it's parking lane in front of the development for a wider public realm. Could by another 3m of sidewalk right there.

1623292556370.png

Back