Votes: 21 38.9%
  • Okay

Votes: 14 25.9%
  • Not Great

Votes: 3 5.6%
  • Terrible

Votes: 7 13.0%

• Total voters
Couldn't agree more. For me, a good urban/pedestrian-oriented design comes first, everything else later. This is why I can't stand buildings like Scarbro 17. With a good design that integrates with the streetscape, a building can always be recladded in the future. However, with a horrible design like the 1 block concrete bunker that WV Towers is, that can't be fixed.

I don't mind this project at all. I can see it being an issue for people who had high expectations, but this is still a win for a City playing catch up on pedestrian-oriented developments and density!
My thoughts exactly.

Looks a bit better but still not a fan of it. I just despise corrugated metal of any type. Oh well, hope it’s final function outweighs its form.

IMG_0487.jpg
IMG_0488.jpg
IMG_0491.jpg

Just borrowing @LloydBraun 's photo, as he basically replicated the viewpoint (and weather) of the rendering. Here they are for direct comparison. I will admit, I was skeptical when we saw the initial few panels. Still not sure how much I like it, but do think it has turned out better than I expected it to. The biggest difference I see is the "openness" of the stairwell in the rendering, vs. reality. The two story glazing and more open ceiling of it seems to have not made the final product.
1623210866310.png

1623210892066.png

Just borrowing @LloydBraun 's photo, as he basically replicated the viewpoint (and weather) of the rendering. Here they are for direct comparison. I will admit, I was skeptical when we saw the initial few panels. Still not sure how much I like it, but do think it has turned out better than I expected it to. The biggest difference I see is the "openness" of the stairwell in the rendering, vs. reality. The two story glazing and more open ceiling of it seems to have not made the final product.
View attachment 326312

View attachment 326313
This really shows how little the building looks like the rendering.

Wait, why are the retail entrances pushed so far back into the building in comparison to the rendering? Are they still working on that? Cause the current spacing from the columns is gonna basically hide retailers. Also, this is gonna definitely need some trees upfront.

Wait, why are the retail entrances pushed so far back into the building in comparison to the rendering? Are they still working on that? Cause the current spacing from the columns is gonna basically hide retailers. Also, this is gonna definitely need some trees upfront.
No, the commercial spaces are recessed from the front of the building. The columns aren’t even shown in the rendering. This is the issue I have with this building. RNDSQR heavily promoted this building with renderings that are deceiving. I know this is a common occurrence, but this feels like a particularly egregious example.

View attachment 326312

View attachment 326313
The top storey also appears to have ended up with noticeably less articulation than shown in the renders. The window/balcony openings also look smaller and more “slit-like” than in the renders — a result of not being able to replicate the renders’ paper-thin floor plates, I guess. But I agree that the biggest disappointment in this comparison is that the retail frontage and staircase to the courtyard are looking far less open, airy and inviting than shown in the renders, even before any shade from future street trees is factored in. I suppose once those retail units are occupied and lit up inside it won’t look quite so dark and uninviting.

all due respect but we knew the form didnt match the render months ago, it was the cladding we were having kittens over. agree the render is better but now weve seen it are you going to take it or leave it? im going to take it, miscues and all.

Last edited:

Back