Votes: 21 38.9%
  • Okay

Votes: 14 25.9%
  • Not Great

Votes: 3 5.6%
  • Terrible

Votes: 7 13.0%

• Total voters
Ambitious and inventive, but the execution is sub par. Regardless though, it's going to be one hell of an addition to the Marda Loop retail landscape and streetscape.

I thought it looked good from the alley, so here's hoping it's similar on the front side. Either way, though we are getting something unique that will catch people's attention and create some conversation. Marda Loop has a lot of 'safe' developments either built, u/c or proposed. It'll be nice to have something that stands out.

this looks better than my recently revised down expectations

D611FF9B-2025-4349-B7E0-04539E8E6FB1.jpeg

I think it's gonna be fine. A downgrade from the renderings, but better than most other developments, and it'll be an interesting building at the very least.

The secret in the Vancouver school of design.
  • Step 1: build anything
  • Step 2: cover it in trees and greenery
  • Step 3: "wow it's such a beautiful city here! I love Vancouver!"
Unfortunately that strategy works a lot better if your city was built within a coastal rainforest rather than a semiarid steppe.

The secret in the Vancouver school of design.
  • Step 1: build anything
  • Step 2: cover it in trees and greenery
  • Step 3: "wow it's such a beautiful city here! I love Vancouver!"
😆 Honestly, this is so true, as beautiful as some buildings are (especially the heritage and newer builds), I'll be driving or walking through way too many areas in metro Van where even Calgary's Forest Lawn neighborhood will look posh in comparison but thanks to the abundance of vegetation I don't notice it most of the time.

What drives me nuts is how much grass Calgary plants when they can be planting trees or shrubs. I'd rather see a row of dead trees for 8 months of the year than yellow grass. Edmonton is lucky in that sense. I know their weather favors vegetation more but that's no excuse as to why Calgary can't replicate throughout the city the amount of vegetation present in many of its older inner-city neighborhoods, particularly along highways and main streets.

Last edited:
😆 Honestly, this is so true, as beautiful as some buildings are (especially the heritage and newer builds), I'll be driving or walking through way too many areas in metro Van where even Calgary's Forest Lawn neighborhood will look posh in comparison but thanks to the abundance of vegetation I don't notice it most of the time.

What drives me nuts is how much grass Calgary plants when they can be planting trees or shrubs. I'd rather see a row of dead trees for 8 months of the year than yellow grass. Edmonton is lucky in that sense. I know their weather favors vegetation more but that's no excuse as to why Calgary can't replicate throughout the city the amount of vegetation present in many of its older inner-city neighborhoods, particularly along highways and main streets.
I agree about the grass. Put something else instead and use the water for trees. Trees wil grow here, but it's crucial to take care of them in the early stages. I've seen so many failures in that regard.

Haha no offense to anyone but a billion trees isn't actually as many as you might think. In BC roughly 300 million trees were planted just last summer. That's not even including the rest of Canada. 1 Billion trees makes for a good headline but in reality it's just a drop in the bucket.
Calgary has just under a million trees, so a billion would probably make a difference. That many trees in the middle of a forest wouldn't make much difference, but in a city where 3/4 of the land is occupied by buildings, parking lots, sidewalks and roads it would be huge. I don't remember who the person was, but there was a guest lady on CBC talking about this and she mentioned a quarter of a million trees would make Calgary noticeably greener.

We can only hope they saw how terrible it looked and decided to rectify the situation. Do not like what I see so far.

Back