Votes: 21 38.9%
  • Okay

Votes: 14 25.9%
  • Not Great

Votes: 3 5.6%
  • Terrible

Votes: 7 13.0%

• Total voters
The black piece I see looks to be a metal spandrel panel on the window assembly, though there is the black panel in the first picture you posted yesterday that could be a hardie type material.

The black piece I see looks to be a metal spandrel panel on the window assembly, though there is the black panel in the first picture you posted yesterday that could be a hardie type material.
I walked up close to it to try and get a pic, but the scaffolding was in the way. I thought it also might be some sort of metal flashing or something....hard to say. I'm anxious to see some more material go up.

Snapped a few more pics of this today.

A711AD0E-4A45-4382-BFB3-55D2BBAC2E65.jpeg
FA31362B-DC31-4ECA-8A7E-A9A9F17B44A0.jpeg
A0138556-B331-46F6-93F4-B3BD14A265ED.jpeg
40F1C82E-A547-4B58-9E52-9B15273F94D7.jpeg
298A33E6-895E-46C1-82D4-A9778FD507ED.jpeg

If the cladding on this ends up being corrugated metal I might have an aneurysm.

If it's corrugated metal, I won't make a judgement until there is a significant amount up. With corrugated metal it can look good or bad, for example I like the look of the corrugated metal on Annex.

The corrugated metal is likely just a base layer, I've seen this before on other buildings most notably the Rocky Ridge YMCA, the whole building was covered in the metal before the actual spandrel was put over top. It's also green which would make no sense looking at the renders. I expect the spandrel on this building to look similar to what is on the YMCA, but white/silver-ish rather than gold.

The corrugated metal is likely just a base layer, I've seen this before on other buildings most notably the Rocky Ridge YMCA, the whole building was covered in the metal before the actual spandrel was put over top. It's also green which would make no sense looking at the renders. I expect the spandrel on this building to look similar to what is on the YMCA, but white/silver-ish rather than gold.
I've never heard of corrugated metal as a base layer under the finish cladding. That would be extremely expensive as well.

I haven't heard of corrugated metal being used as a drainage layer. I have heard of lath strips which are not metal, and they reduce thermal heat transfer + bridging. The orientation of these panels pieces seems to imply they may be used as a drainage layer, but I'm not sure it makes sense from a building envelope perspective. The City of Calgary has only recently approved the use of fiberglass Cascadia clips to fasten cladding and allow for a good rainscreen design. Not sure what this is about.

Frankly, I'm a little concerned about building envelope continuity. I'm looking at the Typar Metro Wrap application, and the inconsistent taping. Kind of giving me cold sweats. Although, the photos are a couple weeks back. Also not too sure small green metal mock-ups qualify as an opening act.

Taping the joints is actually bad practice as it can hide tie ins. As long as the membrane has correct lapping it's functioning correctly. There are two envelope engineers on the project bc of its complexity and so nothing is missed

Sneak peek of the courtyard. Difficult to get a sense of space with all the scaffolding.

PXL_20210107_191917602.MP.jpg

Back