News   Apr 03, 2020
 4.7K     1 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 6.5K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 3.8K     0 

CalgaryNEXT | Urban District Redevelopment Plan

The infrastructure demands of this stadium are going to be insane anyway you slice it by the looks of it. The proposal appears to have Bow Trail tunneled underneath it.

A tunnel under the Bow! I never thought of that before,and could be kind of cool, but would the cost make sense. I mean an over the river bridge would have to be cheaper no?

I didn't think of that either, but it could be interesting I supppose. I think you missunderstood my previous comment though. The redesign of the West-Village/GSL Chec City/CalgaryNEXT District or whatever the heck it's being called seems to show a road going underneath the arena and based on the present map, that road would be West bound Bow Trail.

upload_2016-11-22_16-6-35.png

Tangentially, I'd love if downtown Calgary had a by-pass tunnel.

And as another aside, looks like the North Side of the river has be repurposed as a rain forest.

Attachments

• upload_2016-11-22_16-6-35.png
    upload_2016-11-22_16-6-35.png
    754.8 KB · Views: 281
Reactions: AJX
I like that they are trying to bury part of Bow Trail, but wish they could bury it even more. I would like to see the whole West Village length of the river made into a promenade. I also like the idea of another bridge across the Bow, even if just for pedestrians and cyclists.

A tunnel under the Bow! I never thought of that before,and could be kind of cool, but would the cost make sense. I mean an over the river bridge would have to be cheaper no?
It's not a tunnel under the Bow, it's the developer decking over Bow Trail to create a gorgeous riverfront plaza between the Complex and the river.

I like the idea of a large plaza facing out to the river and having a nice big walkway heading east and west from the plaza. Maybe there is an opportunity for some restaurants around the plaza area, maybe overlooking the river.

I like the idea of a large plaza facing out to the river and having a nice big walkway heading east and west from the plaza. Maybe there is an opportunity for some restaurants around the plaza area, maybe overlooking the river.

I think that is what is proposed, if you look at the ground level render of the plaza with the facade of the stadium complex to the left, it looks like there are proposed retail frontages along that stretch.

Reactions: AJX
I'd like to see some restos right along the river with entrances along the pathway, but patios out on the river....and maybe some steps or stairs down to the river so rafters can come up and grab some bevies :cool:

I guess the steps and stairs are in the rendering. Just need to add the restos and pubs :)

From the city, I'd advocate a linear connection from 17th St SW to 19th St NW, under the CPR/C-train, over the river. That would bring a fair amount of Hillhurst within walking distance of Sunalta Station and create a new corridor from Lion's Park to Sunalta and the Beltline.

Overall, my main concern is who will pay for the stadium. It's my position that those who will profit from more boxes and concessions ought to be the ones to front the bill, whereas things that benefit the public are fair uses of tax money. For instance, the city could pay for infrastructure in the WV and amateur facilities at the field house. The city has already paid hundreds of millions for the WLRT and will have to spend much more on new roads and infrastructure to develop the neighbourhood.

I like the ideas coming through this thread, ideas I never thought of. I think it's a great idea to tie 17th street to 19th street together. Those two sections of the city would benefit from being joined, and it has the potential to be a vibrant corridor. 19th street has already started in that direction. Sunalta can also have the zoning bumped up along that street.

On Hockey Night in Canada right now, Hrudey just had an update on the new arena. It's nothing more than discussion but an interesting tidbit was that while King and the Flames want to build it in the West Village, it's the City's preference that it's built in the East Village.

Perhaps the Remington lands off of the tracks north of the Stampede grounds is the City's preferred location. Particularly with the new LRT leg going right by there. It would give the City and opportunity to incorporate a new station right with the development.

Personally, I would prefer they build in East Village along the train tracks. Transit options are better, and also a much easier walk to downtown and Beltline.

^Exactly. No creosote cleanup, and those pieces of land along the train tracks are a harder sell to develop compared to West village.

That location in the East Village presents a greater chance that the City is willing to contribute public money into the development, over the West Village. Also much less infrastructure work.
That would be my own personal preference. The West Village land is too valuable, and too desirable a location to be wasted on a stadium and arena IMO. That section of land in Vic Park East Village where the train tracks are is exactly what Always Biking said....a hard sell. This would be a good development to bridge Vic Park and EV.

Back