News   Apr 02, 2020
 6.6K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 3.8K     0 

CalgaryNEXT | Urban District Redevelopment Plan

UrbanWarrior

Member Bio
Reaction score
In light of the team over at CalgaryNEXT releasing updated, far more detailed renderings, I thought it was time we have a thread for this potential major development for our city. I must say, when the project was first released, I hated it, but now with the reimagining of the materials, the plazas, and the public realm, I'm definitely a fan of this development. I particularly like how they both the proposed burying of Bow Trail between the facility and the river, and the increased maximum capacity of the indoor stadium to over 40 000 people, that's just icing on the cake! My favorite part of it though is the new riverfront plaza with a huge fountain feature.

arena-event-centre.jpg

9th-avenue-streetface.jpg

calgary-river-view.jpg

calgarynext-promenade-interior.jpg

West-end-Drop-Off-Loop.jpg

calgarynext-location.jpg

calgarynext-location.jpg

Also, pay special attention to this GIF in order to see the different configurations that the Stadium/Fieldhouse can change to.

CalgaryNEXT-Configuration-2016.gif

I think they've come back with a much better looking proposal on this go around. Translucent Buttocks, we hardly knew yee. That said I'm still at best mixed. I'd seen some of this before too, but not in as great detail. Nice find.

I don't like the standard capacity of only 30,500 for the stadium. Having frozen my ass off at my share of Stamps games over the years, I can't say I'm entirely opposed to a covered stadium though. I do happen to notice that the full capacity with temporary seating is just barely above the 40,000 person thresh hold required in order to host a World Cup of Soccer round robin match too.

The arena side troubles me more though. How much of that 19,000 seat capacity is in private boxes? I'm not really sure what to make of those upper tiers in the render you've found.

One of the main things that bothered me about the original proposal is the amount of parking they were going to allow for. Have you seen anything to suggest that they might be coming up with a better figure that 1,500 stalls this time around? (I have nothing hard, but I'd heard the total parking around the Saddledome is three times that.)

Much better looking then the original design. It kind of depends on the materials on the outside of the building, but it has a much sleeker more serious look to it. I think you could substitute the brown for white or off white and it might look better.

I would prefer to see the field house have a capacity of 35,000, and 50,000 with temporary seating.

Only 1500 stalls? If that's true sounds like they're really gonna be pushing for transit use to and from the stadium. Still, that doesn't seem like enough to me.

As much as I am a large supporter of transit, 1500 is not many stalls. Not for a stadium of 40K, or even the arena with 19K seats.

Regarding the design change, I too like the new design better.

Much better looking then the original design. It kind of depends on the materials on the outside of the building, but it has a much sleeker more serious look to it. I think you could substitute the brown for white or off white and it might look better.

I would prefer to see the field house have a capacity of 35,000, and 50,000 with temporary seating.

White would be a good choice. I was going to suggest a light blue or maybe red, but white is a classic color that would still look good 30 years from now.

I am a fan of limited parking. I'd like to see it even reduced. If you increase parking the roads have to be designed to accommodate the cars that will ultimately fill those spots in a limited time period.

I think you're way too optimistic about how important cars will be fo accessing this location if built. There would be one C-train station adjacent on the Blue line and it's a heck of a walk to anywhere else.

I am a fan of limited parking. I'd like to see it even reduced. If you increase parking the roads have to be designed to accommodate the cars that will ultimately fill those spots in a limited time period.
Hey Evolv, I like your line of thinking, and I agree with you......in a perfect world :)

If they are going to do away with parking, I would want to see better transit options. I know the LRT is close, and that's good, but how are buses going to get in and out of there in a reasonable fashion? I wonder if the city would consider building another bridge across the Bow? One that could be for pedestrians, buses and cyclists only?

Hey I agree with you......in a perfect world :)
If they are going to do away with parking, I would want to see better transit options. I know the LRT is close, and that's good, but how are buses going to get in and out of there in a reasonable fashion? I wonder if the city would consider building another bridge across the Bow? One that could be for pedestrians, buses and cyclists only?

I think that's going to have to be in the cards. Walking to Sunnyside Station will probably also be the easiest way to access the Red Line directly as well.

19th street is a fair ways to the west, but judging by where the complex would sit, it could work. The red lines would be transit roads and or pedestrian/cyclist lanes, and the orange would be the facilities.

Image2.jpg
events-centre.jpg

Attachments

• Image2.jpg
    Image2.jpg
    527.2 KB · Views: 476
  • events-centre.jpg
    events-centre.jpg
    120.6 KB · Views: 1,193
The 8th St station is a 1.2 km walk. Would be equivalent to walking from saddledome to 2nd St SW. Would probably need to upgrade 8th to multi platform station to accommodate north and south travellers on the red line. I think this is a better option than roads for cars. Shuttle buses and brt down south crowchild and memorial would also be worth considering.

The 8th St station is a 1.2 km walk. Would be equivalent to walking from saddledome to 2nd St SW. Would probably need to upgrade 8th to multi platform station to accommodate north and south travellers on the red line. I think this is a better option than roads for cars. Shuttle buses and brt down south crowchild and memorial would also be worth considering.
You'll need some roads for cars, but a bus lane only with access over the new bridge and priority access leaving the area would go a long ways for sure.

Back