Calgary Event Centre | 36.85m | 11s | CSEC | HOK

Do you support the proposal for the new arena?

• Yes

Votes: 91 65.5%
  • No

Votes: 39 28.1%
  • Maybe

Votes: 9 6.5%

• Total voters
01calgaryeventcentre-png.339279

Surrealplaces might like the canal under the rail lines.

The difference between the BMO expansion by Populous and the arena design by HOK/Dialog is quite apparent. One is imaginative, slick, elegant, and uses top end materials. The other is bland, uninspired, basic, and looks cheap.

I still can’t get over the fact that this is what we are actually going to get. All these years waiting in anticipation, listening to the Flames yap that they are going to do things right, trust the process, tour every arena out there to ensure they build the best facility, blah blah. When push came to shove they showed their true colours....mediocrity. They dragged their feet for years, costs escalated, and now we get this piece of shit for a price increase. Say what you want about Edmonton’s rink, but they at least got a secondary ice surface, and winter garden for less money. We get another parkade for an area overflowing with parking. Fuck the Flames they can go to hell.

was it bow valley square or petro canada that had block long concrete facades and eventually saw the light 10yrs ago. these guys are building the center of the “entertainment district” for the next 40yrs with literally two blocks of nothing on the east side nothing on the south and entrance/exits on the north. wish they would stick to trying to win hockey games and leave building buildings to the pros.

So far Flames fans are liking itView attachment 339378
i voted terrible, in between is too generous
seems most peoples concern is washrooms

Considering how much discussion there is about bidets on calgarypuck I’m not surprised.

Still combing through the interior drawings but I’m leaning towards it being a win on the inside. Good thing the washrooms are aplenty because I’ll be nauseous from the exterior design by the time I get inside.

The interiors are looking very promising, many many bathrooms and 2 full concourses. Intermissions were a gong show in the Dome, this will be so much better.

For the exterior, the lighting opportunities will be great at night, hopefully there is some sort of video mapping!

The best I can say about this building is that the architects really managed to capture the essence of the street fronts in much of Calgary's downtown core.

However, again I ask: why the hell is the public plaza in the SW corner facing the BMO centre loading docks, and not the NW corner where most people will be entering the neighbourhood!??!?

So far Flames fans are liking it
1628141609187.png

Ha ha, those morons on Twitter don't care that this arena is overpriced, underwhelming and going to provide a horrible street facade in an area that is supposed to be a mainstreet. Imagine a bunch of chumps dumb enough that a bare majority supports this garbage. I'm glad this forum has a more sensible, intelligent crowd who can see this arena for the disappointment it is.

1628141573943.png

The best I can say about this building is that the architects really managed to capture the essence of the street fronts in much of Calgary's downtown core.

However, again I ask: why the hell is the public plaza in the SW corner facing the BMO centre loading docks, and not the NW corner where most people will be entering the neighbourhood!??!?
The north side has 12th Ave, a few parking lots and the green line. The south has 17th Ave, a ton of parking in the Stampede Grounds and both the Red and Blue lines. Also parking to the north is planned to disappear in favour of developments over time (if we can convince the Stampede to let go of the Remington lands) while parking in the Stampede Grounds is all but assured to still exist far off into the future.

View attachment 339473

Ha ha, those morons on Twitter don't care that this arena is overpriced, underwhelming and going to provide a horrible street facade in an area that is supposed to be a mainstreet. Imagine a bunch of chumps dumb enough that a bare majority supports this garbage. I'm glad this forum has a more sensible, intelligent crowd who can see this arena for the disappointment it is.

View attachment 339472

Most of the votes on the skyrise poll were made before the renders were released. I'm sure the outcome would be different if it was done today.

The north side has 12th Ave, a few parking lots and the green line. The south has 17th Ave, a ton of parking in the Stampede Grounds and both the Red and Blue lines. Also parking to the north is planned to disappear in favour of developments over time (if we can convince the Stampede to let go of the Remington lands) while parking in the Stampede Grounds is all but assured to still exist far off into the future.
I wonder about the Blue Line travelers for this. Wouldn't it make more sense to just get off at City Hall station, and walk to the NW entrance of the arena? The time to walk from City Hall or Victoria Park/Stampede Station is gonna be essentially the same.

1628167396011.png

1628169145885.png

The SW corner still overall will probably have the highest amount of entry, so that being the main plaza space makes sense. The NW entry does have some prominence in the renders, so not completely neglected.

I think this arena is gonna be a win compared to other venues built in North America in that with having a retail strip along Stampede Trail, it can have day to day pedestrian activity that most other venues don't do. Stampede Trail will carry over the energy brought over by 17th Ave and East Village, and 12th Ave should also have good vibrancy depending on how the development north of the arena pans out.

I genuinely think the arena will fit into the area nicely. It doesn't look offensive and too closed off which the main objective in this site.

Back