Calgary Event Centre | 36.85m | 11s | CSEC | HOK

Do you support the proposal for the new arena?

• Yes

Votes: 89 65.0%
  • No

Votes: 39 28.5%
  • Maybe

Votes: 9 6.6%

• Total voters
14calgaryeventcentre.png

13calgaryeventcentre.png

I mean, these are a little better than the renders that they originally released but that's not a high bar to clear. It looks like an arena that some small-town ECHL team would play in. No part of this project screams "Calgary" or "Flames." What's with all the white? It's like someone took a paper towel roll and wrapped it around the building.

So many blank walls that could be used to install a collage of LED screens and billboards, instead we gotta look at a bunch of dull mashed-up finished materials. Arris podium> Event Centre. And this is supposed to be the "Mainstreet."
I've given up on the Entertainment District before it even starts. This is so underwhelming and no different than any other garbage you would see in a beta city.
Waste of my tax dollars, I want a referendum!

Any chance you have higher res images, or a link? Can't quite read that...
The drawings are posted on the development map. If you go to the DP link, and click on "About", you should be able to see the link to the DP drawings. However, I seem to be struggling to download the actual drawings..... Not sure if it is just my computer or not.

The drawings are posted on the development map. If you go to the DP link, and click on "About", you should be able to see the link to the DP drawings. However, I seem to be struggling to download the actual drawings..... Not sure if it is just my computer or not.
It's not just you. Link on that isn't working for the drawings portion it appears.

First impressions on the exterior renders is I think it looks fine. I appreciate the Little Ceaser's Arena approach, and with how constraint the site was due to the shift away from inverted bowl, as well to keep costs reasonably within budget, I think this does well enough from the outside. I was expecting more or an open window approach on 12th ave, but seeing how close the interior blueprints of the building compresses onto that road, I could see why it's more of a blank wall since they ran out of space it appears.

I don't think it will have an hostile appearance that's an deterrent to the surrounding development. I also think that it has the potential too look better than how these renders portray it to look depending on the right material.

In the spoiler below is a list and pictures of NHL/NBA venues built within the past decade. I posted this on Calgarypuck's thread of this topic, but will post it here as context for how this proposal compares to others. I feel that the event centre would fit in the the top half, rather than the bottom half.

PPG Paints Arena (2010), Pittsburgh Penguins
cut.jpg

61a5d3b3cca5aad7fecf01f7ee644248.jpg

Barclays Center (2012), Brooklyn Nets
090705_SHoP_Barclays_Center_pho_Bruce_Damonte_1_N2.jpg

barclays-security.jpg

Rogers Place (2016), E=NG
facility-ops-ext-rogers.jpg

Rogers-Place_Exterior_1900-1600x1069.jpg

T-Mobile Arena (2016), Vegas Golden Knights
T_Mobile_Arena_The_Strip_Las_Vegas_%2829798246202%29.jpg

t-mobile_arena-e1479758174751-1180x460.jpg