Calgary Event Centre | 36.85m | 11s | CSEC | HOK

Do you support the proposal for the new arena?

• Yes

Votes: 91 65.5%
  • No

Votes: 39 28.1%
  • Maybe

Votes: 9 6.5%

• Total voters
I live in the Beltline and received an Email from the Community Association. They are very concerned that CMLC is being squeezed out and have the same fears that have already been expressed by others in this thread. They are encouraging residents of the Beltline to contact the City and express those concerns.
That is good to hear. Hopefully ground support makes sure this new Rivers District isn't another failure, but instead more akin to East Village.

Letting a group of billionaires plan out the main attraction of the Entertainment District? what could possibly go wrong?

But don't worry guys, if we get another sterile area in the Core, the City will rush in to help a few years down the line, throwing as much tax dollars needed to fix the problems. Then when all hope is lost, they'll shift their attention to West Village and call that the next promised land. 🙄

On July 5th Council was told that the arena is $50-60 Million dollars over the $550 million dollar budget. They were also told that the design isn't final (it sounds like it's likely to be scaled back to meet budget.) Council will discuss this item again on July 26

-edit- It was also confirmed that the community arena was not a part of the over budgeted design. The community arena was only to be included if they had money left over

Last edited:
Off to a fantastic start! Over budget, scaled back design, no community arena, possible removal of CMLC...what a joke. My support for this venture wains every time I read a news update.
Edit: At this point just pay and do it right so we don’t need another building for the next 50 years. The more corners cut today, the faster and more likely the Flames come crying back for more later on at a greater expense.

Last edited:
On July 5th Council was told that the arena is $50-60 Million dollars over the $550 million dollar budget. They were also told that the design isn't final (it sounds like it's likely to be scaled back to meet budget.) Council will discuss this item again on July 26

-edit- It was also confirmed that the community arena was not a part of the over budgeted design. The community arena was only to be included if they had money left over
Well, that assumes they had a budget. They didn't - semmingly they had an average of similar projects that they assumed would be modified by a basket of commodity prices. No preliminary design, no high level estimate, no defined scope.

Don't know enough about the process to know whether having CMLC step aside is good or not. I wonder who will manage the project now...

T
getting out of the cost overruns is nice. Now, forcding them to keep the streetfront retail is the next councils fight. the zoning.
There is no chance there needs to even be a fight over this. Are you sure? Or are you thinking the Flames are utter idiots and have their minds stuck in the 1960s?

Back