Calgary Event Centre | 36.85m | 11s | CSEC | HOK

Do you support the proposal for the new arena?

• Yes

Votes: 90 65.2%
  • No

Votes: 39 28.3%
  • Maybe

Votes: 9 6.5%

• Total voters
I doubt that the Flames have complete control over the design with or without CMLC managing it. The City sold the project to taxpayers as a centerpiece of the Vic Park redevelopment. It would be stupid of them to hand the Flames a blank check and not demand certain design elements

The Flames desperately want what the Oilers have, they want retail, bars, hotels.... everything. I'm not worried about them eliminating the opportunity for revenue paying retail units. I am curious who will manage this though, CSEC has no experience doing this.

I doubt that the Flames have complete control over the design with or without CMLC managing it. The City sold the project to taxpayers as a centerpiece of the Vic Park redevelopment. It would be stupid of them to hand the Flames a blank check and not demand certain design elements
CSEC is on the hook for $33.5M more currently, so hopefully it means they pay their own share for anything extra they want.

It is more that it would be the natural descope to save money.
And it isn't something that will make them money. Having CMLC in charge was a guardrail against the private entity trying to cut out the elements of public value. A guardrail that is now gone.

Beyond which CSEC is an entertainment company not a developer. The whole project is now in the hands of a company that has no experience, took no public input, and has no incentive to prioritize the public good (and based on a quick look at the NHL standings over the last decade they're not all that great at their principal business either).

In exchange for what? CSEC saying that they'll cover additional cost-overruns? The actual legally binding contract they signed detailed how cost escalation would be handled and it didn't survive the first cost escalation... what assurances are there that this one will survive the next?

And it isn't something that will make them money.
Why not? The Flames would love nothing more than to have a big sports bar attached to the arena to show Flames away games. If the long term plan is to have 4th street be a retail/ entertainment main street then the Flames are going to want to get in on that. And again, that's assuming the Flames have complete control over design. Anyways, I wish we had some renders to put our minds at ease.

It is more that it would be the natural descope to save money.
I feel like that is extremely short term thinking, especially for something that is going to be a centre of activity for 30 years. They would hamper their own potential revenues if they actually descoped like this.

Don't remember retail facing 104th, all of it was supposed to be in the plaza IIRC.

Retail was supposed to face 104th as well. The Oilers had grand dreams of a team store and some video studios stretching the entire length
1627419181625.png

The space is now poorly screened office space I believe.
1627419301774.png

Back