Calgary Event Centre | 36.85m | 11s | CSEC | HOK

Do you support the proposal for the new arena?

• Yes

Votes: 89 65.0%
  • No

Votes: 39 28.5%
  • Maybe

Votes: 9 6.6%

• Total voters
Bosa started ~2014 and slowed down construction due to market conditions. It would have made the investment decision prior to that, so possibly around 2013. M2 is the only new project in EV since the recession hit. I'll believe anything new only when shovels are on site. I like EV, but even with hundreds of millions of public money it hasn't delivered that many new residential units or spurred development of privately owned land.

A project manager would have an opinion as to whether scope can be delivered on budget, and provide suggestions as to how to recover to budget. If CMLC is advising on scope addition, it would be a conflict of interest.

I'm surprised that CSEC would try to upgrade corporate boxes as that market is in decline as companies have been reducing their entertainment budgets for many years. Again, if CSEC sees potential in upgraded boxes, it should be able to charge more from them and fund the upgrades on its own. Tech changes make sense, but with the cost of technology almost certainly declining over time, it shouldn't lead to cost increases in a project that hasn't borken ground.
You mention no new projects since recession. I disagree. 5 and 3rd development is one. Then Arris just finished up

9D4DA999-6F8C-4766-BE61-1CD594CFC122.jpeg

Agree to disagree. You clearly aren't in the industry.
I'm not in the industry, but I do know the following facts:
1) 5th and 3rd, which included the foundations of two towers, had shovels in the ground in late 2014
2) A project manager cannot add scope, only the funder (developer) can do so. It can suggest reductions to scope to recover budget or schedule. If CMLC had input into design beyond it being realistic given budget and schedule constraints, it really wasn't acting as a project manager.

Surprise! ... some disagreement on city council about this. I heard both Farkas and Gondek, separately, on QR77 last week. Farkas who said he did not support the original deal between the city and CSEC, now says Calgarians would be very upset with if they knew how this delay came about and what is behind it. He said he could not get into any details.
Gondek on the other hand said the original deal was very good for Calgary and did not know what Farkas was getting at. She said council has not received any change to budget/plan proposal in which to react to or comment on. She said when something is put in front of them, she would most certainly be vocal one way or the other.
Sounds like things are heating up in the mayoralty race! 😁

Man I can't stand Farkas. A dirty politician who'll say and do whatever it takes to advance his political position. Has no one brought up the fact that this tax-averse guy helped approve 14 new communities knowing they'd lead to a minimum of 0.75% direct increase in property taxes?

The only people who should be voting for Farkas are the people who blame the current tax situation all on Nenshi and have somehow been fooled into thinking that taxes will suddenly go back to pre-2014 levels as soon as he's no longer mayor.

Man I can't stand Farkas. A dirty politician who'll say and do whatever it takes to advance his political position. Has no one brought up the fact that this tax-averse guy helped approve 14 new communities knowing they'd lead to a minimum of 0.75% direct increase in property taxes?
Not that I like Farkas, but just to be fair, he was one of 12 who voted in favor of the 14 new communities (Nenshi and Farell voted against). He voted against the 11 new communities.

Not that I like Farkas, but just to be fair, he was one of 12 who voted in favor of the 14 new communities (Nenshi and Farell voted against). He voted against the 11 new communities.
The question is whether Farkas would've voted the same way had he believed there was any chance the vote would've actually failed as a result

I haven't researched Farkas' general stance on new subdivisions, but it's well known that new subdivisions are costing the city money, and he seems to be all about money.

Back to the event centre.

It is speculation, but I am pretty sure this is what has happened:

• January 2019, a cost estimate comes at $600 million
  • July 2019, the deal is signed at $550 million. It includes a screen of streetfront retail within the project's scope
  • interim, costs start to rise, and scope starts to be examined.
  • CMLC insists that the streetfront retail screen is integral to the project, and not additional scope the city should pay for.
  • CSEC disagrees even though they signed the deal.
So we get to today:
  • CSEC insists instead of splitting overruns 50/50, that the retail screen be removed from the general scope, be added to the city exclusive scope at a cost of $70 million
  • CSEC being mad at this turn of events realizes CMLC has the upper hand in negotiations, and instead wants to cut them out so they can deal with the clunky city and council instead.
  • CSEC at this moment also decides that its fair cost option for the land under the bus barns should the city ever decide to move isn't to their liking, and instead wants more sweeteners on it, so why not ask for it too.
  • CSEC realizes that the equivalent route that people used to take to bypass post event traffic from the saddledome from the parkade won't be as good for the new arena, so they want traffic control carte blanche to give themselves better traffic.

Last edited:
Where do things stand with the event centre these days? I haven’t any news in it lately.

You'll have to read upthread. ^^ Lots of discussion up there.

Where do things stand with the event centre these days? I haven’t any news in it lately.
This post sums up the highlights of the recent changes.

Back