Calgary Event Centre | 36.85m | 11s | CSEC | HOK

Do you support the proposal for the new arena?

• Yes

Votes: 89 65.0%
  • No

Votes: 39 28.5%
  • Maybe

Votes: 9 6.6%

• Total voters
At this rate, doesn't seem far fetched to believe Ottawa Senators will have a new arena before the Flames do; despite there's being newer than the dome, and they don't even have an official deal/location established yet for the new one!

Jesus tap dancing Christ. Another stalled major project. I’m losing faith in this city’s ability to get shit done. We were on such a roll, now it’s finished.

Meanwhile Regina, REGINA of all places just built a brand new football stadium, has just proposed a new arena, and also have plans for a new minor baseball stadium! How is that possible? Our football stadium is dilapidated, our arena aging fast and unable to accommodate many shows, and our baseball stadium is abandoned and empty. Oh, and we still don’t have a field house after 50 years, not to mention Glenmore Park and Foothills Park are both dumps with aging and outdated infrastructure and facilities. While we are at it, let’s not forget that most, if not all, of our Olympic facilities are at the end of their lifespan (bobsled track), need Reno’s (oval), or about to be demolished (ski jump towers). Calgary is so far behind in sporting infrastructure it’s laughable.

Quite the list of demands by the Flames:

-$70 million more
-more land
-CMLC removed as project manager
-control of traffic around the arena

-$70 million more
-more land

What does control of traffic mean? I'm envisioning something akin to the Duty Free store at many airports, where all cars and pedestrians must funnel through Flames merchandising.

-$70 million more
-more land

Wow - I would say I am surprised but corporate grift of the public funding knows no bounds.

I am curious on the "control of traffic around the arena" request? Can the City even grant this?

I’m guessing the Flames want to control when they can shut down Olympic Ave. to cars in order to possibly have outdoor events/game viewings in the plaza out front that would sync and expand to BMO’s new plaza. They could make the entire street a giant outdoor viewing party where people can walk freely without cars interrupting. Just my guess.

Last edited:
I wonder how much leverage Flames ownership actually has. They signed the deal. Part of that deal was that they can't leave Calgary, which was their main "threat" before, though I doubt they were serious about that.
Like, what are they gonna do? Pout in their valueless building as it degrades further until the roof caves in around them?

They must also realize that stamping their feet and demanding more money from a city that's already struggling massively from the pandemic and oil industry, and also from a city who has supported their team valiantly for decades, is incredibly tone deaf. I really, REALLY want to see this arena done, and done well. I hope this is just a minor thing that they'll renegotiate quickly and move forward with. As you guys have said it's concerning that they consider this to still be in the "early planning" phase. Weren't the final renders supposed to be released this April (aka now)?

I'm not as knowledgeable in the construction industry as a lot of you so maybe someone can fill me in but I'm a little confused why they're so concerned about the cost of materials being high right now anyways. Shovels weren't planned to be in the dirt until August, at which point COVID should *supposedly* be winding down and costs should improve. They'll also be digging pits and things like that for a while before they actually start building the arena, so unless they for some reason want to buy all of the materials right at the start of construction, why would they care about the prices right NOW? They have years of construction and price fluctuations to deal with, by the time actual construction starts it might be cheaper, no?

Interesting that CMLC is leaking all of this information that paints the Flames in a negative light - I wonder what their strategy is? Is there one?

CSEC and the City can talk about money... but my expectation would be that by one mechanism or another the City is eventually made whole for any additional monies. The other three are simply out of the question... streets are public realm if CSEC wants to close them down they can get a permit like anyone else, that the City owned CMLC heads ensures that the City owned building will accomplish what the City requires, and turning more land into non-rate paying property is similarly bad (remember when "tax uplift was used as a financial justification). I swear it's like they're trying to turn it into another arena surrounded by an ocean of parking stalls.

Interesting that CMLC is leaking all of this information that paints the Flames in a negative light - I wonder what their strategy is? Is there one?
Considering the Flames apparently want to oust them as the project leads I certainly don't see why they'd want to paint them in any light but negative. I trust them to build an ostensibly public serving structure way more then I'd trust any CSEC approved third party.

Back