Calgary Event Centre | 36.85m | 11s | CSEC | HOK

Do you support the proposal for the new arena?

• Yes

Votes: 89 65.0%
  • No

Votes: 39 28.5%
  • Maybe

Votes: 9 6.6%

• Total voters
If Smith wins and we're gonna get screwed anyways hopefully it is nicer than the previous HP OfficeJet design. If NDP wins, then fuck Murray Edwards and CSEC. I don't want to spend even more money on tickets to see a team that can't even make the playoffs, or when it does always exits after the first round.
Ok but the previous design actually looked like a printer though!! So bad

But isn't Smiths portion going towards the city? Not directly to the new arena. I keep hearing people say she's founding the arena which is simply not true.
It's going to the infrastructure required to support the arena, so...creative accounting so she can make the claim it's simply for infrastructure and not actually funding the arena.

As an Edmontonian, we’re pissed haha. 0 money for our city, which is straddled with a lot more social problems thanks to jails, underfunded shelters, and a provincial government that actively fights our city council in public. But time to buy votes in Calgary? Here’s hundreds of millions. Fiscal conservative means nothing. Bunch of clowns running this province. Edmonton has 60k less people, yet gets so much less support from the province for infrastructure.

Hope you guys get a new arena. But the province paying for it is unfair for the whole province.

It's going to the infrastructure required to support the arena, so...creative accounting so she can make the claim it's simply for infrastructure and not actually funding the arena.
Yes but wasn't that money slated to go towards the city anyways. I'd say that that's smart politics.

Yes but wasn't that money slated to go towards the city anyways. I'd say that that's smart politics.
And if you say it's buying votes, show me a politician who doesn't try and buy your votes. They all do it. Wether it's right or wrong both sides are guilty of it. It all depends on what the goods are to sway the votes.

As an Edmontonian, we’re pissed haha. 0 money for our city, which is straddled with a lot more social problems thanks to jails, underfunded shelters, and a provincial government that actively fights our city council in public. But time to buy votes in Calgary? Here’s hundreds of millions. Fiscal conservative means nothing. Bunch of clowns running this province. Edmonton has 60k less people, yet gets so much less support from the province for infrastructure.

Hope you guys get a new arena. But the province paying for it is unfair for the whole province.
Sounds like the money from the province is more for infrastructure for the re-development of the surrounding area, but I get what you're saying, it's still indirectly involved in the arena itself. If the race wasn't so close in Calgary I doubt Smith would be bothering with this.

Last edited:
We don’t claim a new skyscraper downtown should pay for an incremental LRT expansion for it, so do we count the need for a vastly different greenline station as an arena cost or as a greenline cost.

I agree with most of what you are saying but outside of jails those issues aren't exclusive to Edmonton.

Also if you believe the UCP math on this(I don't), the new $330M commitment is to make up for a shortfall that existed in Edmonton's favor in the previous budget. I think that's a red herring though, the government "should be" responsible for funding infrastructure (and other responsibilities) based on merit and value. I think it's unrealistic to believe this kind of funding can ever be exactly equal between Edmonton and Calgary. What both cities should want is fair value. This may be good value but the way it's been thrown together so quickly and the way it's been rolled out point definitively to vote buying in my opinion which is the real issue,

Back