Calgary Event Centre | 36.85m | 11s | CSEC | HOK

Do you support the proposal for the new arena?

• Yes

Votes: 90 65.2%
  • No

Votes: 39 28.3%
  • Maybe

Votes: 9 6.5%

• Total voters
I was on board with the Mayor and City walking away from the deal after Edwards tried to strong arm us into paying for what CSEC had agreed to, but now we are effectively paying the total cost of the original arena design. Seriously, we look like giant fools.
Construction cost inflation is another level, bruh.

I don't see why there even needs to be a 6th St Underpass at all. Even with an underpass, 6th St would not even be 800m long in total. Couldn't you save a ton of money and just make a pedestrian tunnel instead? People would then easily be able to scooter, walk, or bike between Vic Park and East Village, and if you insist on needing a car for 700m you can make a minor detour to 4th St. It just seems like unnecessary bloat.

And here are the winners (whiners) of the new arena deal!

6NWEFBIJ6RGLRKBRSL5GGGDB6Q

I don't see why there even needs to be a 6th St Underpass at all. Even with an underpass, 6th St would not even be 800m long in total. Couldn't you save a ton of money and just make a pedestrian tunnel instead? People would then easily be able to scooter, walk, or bike between Vic Park and East Village, and if you insist on needing a car for 700m you can make a minor detour to 4th St. It just seems like unnecessary bloa
I think we definitely need the underpass in the future. Once EV and VP are fully built out, having more than 1 connection will be great for moving people. I hope they include cycle tracks as part of the construction.

No details but speculation is offices for CSEC/foundation
Why not right? 30% office vacancy and all that. Maybe they can apply for the office conversion program to squeeze a few more dollars into the deal.

I like the orientation and the community arena/retail bays. I hope they aren't sacrificed to the escalation and overrun project cut backs that come with a project this size once it's closer to construction.

Is there a limit to how much a provincial government can promise to spend after a budget is approved but before an election?

Overall it's all been said - deal will go down be another example of what not to do long history of stadium corporate welfare schemes (Assuming it actually gets built of course - everyone was really confident last time too)

Back