BMO Centre Expansion | 25m | 5s | CMLC

Some updates from the latest CMLC newsletter along with an inteior shot.

unnamed (3).png
unnamed (2).png

unnamed (1).png

I had to split it up because the forum will only allow 5 media posts at a time

Sorry, I meant Adam MacVicar, not you. I had seen him post the first bunch of tweets on Twitter and was wondering what had happened with the rest of the tour. Thanks for taking the time to post the thread with all the other tweets!

The Coral sign is a cool idea, glad its legacy will live on. Seeing the finished product on the exterior mostly complete; I don't like the random much darker panels but that's nit picking, and it really is too bad about the 17th Ave extension being such a let down.

How the 17th Ave extension is even a project I don't know, it's a large concrete slab with five trees and a bike lane to nowhere (I know there's Enmax Park, but there's no bike lane on Macleod or 17th, so where does it go? Maybe up to 12th Ave along the train station but then it's on the wrong side of 17th).

All-in-all this is better than it was before but from the outside (where most will interact with the building), only marginally.

On track to open in about a years time (Stampede 2024). Any word on any of the hotels this was supposed to draw? The Matthews Southwest one that is to go in the SW corner of 12th Ave and Stampede Trail that was announced a while ago, anything? If we want a hotel to be open by the time the first guests conventioners arrive, well, too late I think, considering there hasn't been a development permit submitted yet.

The Coral sign is a cool idea, glad its legacy will live on. Seeing the finished product on the exterior mostly complete; I don't like the random much darker panels but that's nit picking, and it really is too bad about the 17th Ave extension being such a let down.

How the 17th Ave extension is even a project I don't know, it's a large concrete slab with five trees and a bike lane to nowhere (I know there's Enmax Park, but there's no bike lane on Macleod or 17th, so where does it go? Maybe up to 12th Ave along the train station but then it's on the wrong side of 17th).

All-in-all this is better than it was before but from the outside (where most will interact with the building), only marginally.
Couldn't have said it better. The 17th Ave extension is atrocious and cheap looking. Very few trees, basic concrete design, very wide and imposing, univiting and uninteresting. They better landscape the hell out of the BMO grounds in front of the building to soften the blow of 17th. I just don't get how some designers and planners can't see the most basic and obvious issues.

Back