News   Apr 03, 2020
 4.7K     1 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 6.5K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 3.8K     0 

Calgary Bike Lanes and Bike Paths

It would be great if they were able to extend the 24th Ave improvements all the way to U/D. Once the University District is fully built out 24th will be a major road within the neighborhood so it would be nice if there was some connectivity east towards the university and even Banff Trail
That would be nice for sure, and a good way to tie in U/D to other parts of the city (pedestrian and cycle wise)

There isn't updated streetview on here, but Silver Springs Blvd has those yellow concrete pads and painted lines for a bike lane. Seems like a quick, effective and efficient way to add bike lanes to all the overbuilt roads in town.
I happened to get some photos here back in April, it's a great link to Dale Hodges Park - Bow River Pathway and I feel super comfortable with the separation. Part of the Neighbourhood Streets Pilot and would love to see more of this in other neighbourhoods

IMG_20220401_180840.jpg

IMG_20220401_181201.jpg

IMG_20220401_181304.jpg

There isn't updated streetview on here, but Silver Springs Blvd has those yellow concrete pads and painted lines for a bike lane. Seems like a quick, effective and efficient way to add bike lanes to all the overbuilt roads in town.
Totally agree. They're far enough apart that it's cost effective, but close enough together that it keeps auto traffic separate and from drifting into the bike lanes.

The bike lockup at city hall yesterday, love to see it, city workers with a collective middle finger to gas prices
View attachment 409183
That's the way to do a bicycle cage - some degree of weather protection, huge amounts of space, right up front of the building instead of through a bunch of awkward doors near a back entrance, or in a basement near the dumpsters.

That's the way to do a bicycle cage - some degree of weather protection, huge amounts of space, right up front of the building instead of through a bunch of awkward doors near a back entrance, or in a basement near the dumpsters.
Agreed, its easy to access, but still very secure. Protected from rain and snow but still outside. They also have seperate racks that you can keep your lock on so people don't leave their locks on the bike racks themselves

I don't understand the need for street parking along there. If it has to be thoroughfare for cars so be it but parking should be forced to nearby lots. Parked cars will take away some of the ambiance that is trying to be created for Stampeded Trail.
And to my comment in the other thread - to what need? Permanently sacrificing a cycling connection and/or wider and more consistent sidewalks to accommodate a handful of cars? Events in the area will have tens of thousands of visitors, not a dozen. Any on-street space for parking won't add any measurable capacity for parking while will take away measurable capacity for everyone else, notably the most efficient space users in cyclists and pedestrians.

Good props for Cowtown. Second only to Montreal in Canadian citties...at least going by their rankings. Calgary had a high 'network' rating which I suspect comes a lot from the extensive river pathways. Still good to see.

Though I don't like Jamieson Place's street presence, I do have to give Quadreal props for the bike infrastructure. Bike lanes within the parkade, bike cage, and change rooms located next to them. 👍

Back