News   Apr 03, 2020
 4.8K     1 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 6.6K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 3.8K     0 

Calgary Bike Lanes and Bike Paths

This spring we added a RadPower RadWagon and it has been a total game changer. Ebikes aren't cheap when compared to our traditional view of bike prices but having the motor and pedal assist is transformative. And this is coming from a 'traditionalist' who never thought I needed a motor and took pride pedaling up center street all on my own. The ebike lets you knock off all those trips that are in the 5 to 10 k range without working up a sweat and comfortably carrying gear (and with our bike easily bring the kids with you). Having the motor and cargo capacity when you need it changes your riding experience from our classic North American view of a weekend outing &/or exercise to "this is the simplest, fastest and easiest option to get from point A to B (and embody the dress for the destination not the journey)"
It's also been quite fascinating to see just how much interest our bike generates from other people.
How do you like the Radwagon? We are a one-car household as well and that bike has lots of great reviews + is on the "affordable" end of the cargo-bike category. I've seen tons of these in other cities (my guess it's one of the more popular cargo models in Canada just by anecdotal visits to Vancouver, Toronto & Montreal) but very few in Calgary.

How is the Radwagon on the hills with a full load of kids or groceries? Easy enough to put together by yourself?

Totally agree on the e-bike revolution from a traditional cyclist POV - I (wrongly) originally dismissed them as niche products for folks that are older, have limited mobility etc. Once I tried both a normal and cargo e-bike you immediately start seeing hills and sweat disappear and it opens your eyes. Any ride is possible regardless of if you are tired, feeling lazy or carrying larger items. Riding an electric cargo bike the first time reminded me of the first time I used an iPhone back in the 2000s - it instantly clicks to the user that this is a game-changer.

How do you like the Radwagon? We are a one-car household as well and that bike has lots of great reviews + is on the "affordable" end of the cargo-bike category. I've seen tons of these in other cities (my guess it's one of the more popular cargo models in Canada just by anecdotal visits to Vancouver, Toronto & Montreal) but very few in Calgary.

How is the Radwagon on the hills with a full load of kids or groceries? Easy enough to put together by yourself?

Totally agree on the e-bike revolution from a traditional cyclist POV - I (wrongly) originally dismissed them as niche products for folks that are older, have limited mobility etc. Once I tried both a normal and cargo e-bike you immediately start seeing hills and sweat disappear and it opens your eyes. Any ride is possible regardless of if you are tired, feeling lazy or carrying larger items. Riding an electric cargo bike the first time reminded me of the first time I used an iPhone back in the 2000s - it instantly clicks to the user that this is a game-changer.
We've put 160km on the bike (it has a digital odometer) so still fairly new but we are using it everyday and no complaints. With 2 kids on the back (~70 lbs) I can make it up the paved path behind the Calgary Curling club with only minimal effort. You can carry a conversation (and smile) with the kids all the way up.

It was really easy to assemble, if you have basic bike knowledge you'll be fine. RadPower provides good resources to help if needed.

We are using the caboose on the back and I really like having the kids up high vs being buried in the chariot. They can see much better and being that much closer to you we are far more engaged in conversation during the rides. I had 3 kids on it once going to soccer so that would have been >100 lbs on back and it still handled really well.

I also really like having the option of just using the throttle, this is particularly nice when starting from a standing start and having weight on back. Allows you to get your speed up quickly and then handling is really easy. And just like you mentioned a big part of the ebike is regardless of how you're feeling you can use the bike comfortably (the upright riding position and seat are very nice, makes switching back to a road bike feel really uncomfortable). The throttle is also great helping make the horribly timed lights downtown on the bike lanes.

I think (hope) that we will start to see more and more cargo bikes around as that's what will help open people's eyes (and minds) to the idea that there are other ways to haul your family around. I remember the first times seeing them in Calgary and thinking wow people actually do that here?

Our family has always been a 1 car household. My spouse and I both have been fortunate to work downtown for most of our careers and have intentionally picked inner city neighbourhoods to live in which has helped facilitate this choice. We both bike into work and continued to do so with kids, dropping them off at daycare downtown. When we had 1 child I used the Thule seat on the bike and with 2 children upgraded to the standard go to of a chariot. But as they've grown and the weight has increased climbing out of the river valley (and any small grade or head wind) has gotten harder and more importantly made the choice to bike with them more and more of chore (which makes the alternative of driving look better and better).
This spring we added a RadPower RadWagon and it has been a total game changer. Ebikes aren't cheap when compared to our traditional view of bike prices but having the motor and pedal assist is transformative. And this is coming from a 'traditionalist' who never thought I needed a motor and took pride pedaling up center street all on my own. The ebike lets you knock off all those trips that are in the 5 to 10 k range without working up a sweat and comfortably carrying gear (and with our bike easily bring the kids with you). Having the motor and cargo capacity when you need it changes your riding experience from our classic North American view of a weekend outing &/or exercise to "this is the simplest, fastest and easiest option to get from point A to B (and embody the dress for the destination not the journey)"
It's also been quite fascinating to see just how much interest our bike generates from other people.
As time has gone on I've thought more about the E-bikes. Biking occasionally with a traditional pedal bike is fine, but doing it as a daily commute makes the e-bike pretty appealing. The other day I biked up 10th street and some older dude with an E-bike whizzed by me on the way up. I love cycling, but I don't particularly love the hills, it takes it from being enjoyable, to being more a chore.

Had a chance to use the new 24th ave bike lanes this morning, I think it's been mentioned before but they are quite good. I was skeptical of the ups and downs across driveways and roads but they did a pretty good job at keeping those smooth. I also really enjoyed having priority all the way from 14th st to Crowchild (only have to stop at 19th)

It's been a long time since I biked around U of C but for my trip this morning I needed to get to the Childrens hospital to connect to a pathway and it seems glaringly obvious that 24th between Crowchild and the Childrens Hospital needs a bike lane. There is so much space to accomodate one - are they any plans for that?

Had a chance to use the new 24th ave bike lanes this morning, I think it's been mentioned before but they are quite good. I was skeptical of the ups and downs across driveways and roads but they did a pretty good job at keeping those smooth. I also really enjoyed having priority all the way from 14th st to Crowchild (only have to stop at 19th)

It's been a long time since I biked around U of C but for my trip this morning I needed to get to the Childrens hospital to connect to a pathway and it seems glaringly obvious that 24th between Crowchild and the Childrens Hospital needs a bike lane. There is so much space to accomodate one - are they any plans for that?
I haven't heard of any plans, but you are so right about that. Lots of space that could easily accommodate a bike lane.

I haven't heard of any plans, but you are so right about that. Lots of space that could easily accommodate a bike lane.
Confirmed for good measure.

3F3FD3D7-13FF-4EC7-AAC0-94817D44A32A.jpeg

I know I’ve ranted about this several times before, but I hate when the city does these sidewalks to nowhere
12A3E37C-2801-4064-BADD-5F5A0B499876.jpeg

Last edited:
On the east bound side of 24th between Crowchild and University Drive there is a nice wide-ish asphalt path (if you ignore the horribly placed traffic sign) that I've seen people bike on even though it's not marked as a bike path.

1655189528412.png

On the west bound side there is something similar leading from Crowchild, but it transitions to a standard concrete sidewalk within a few hundred meters (because it was out of project scope when they redid the intersection?) It's all half-baked.

1655190065190.png

Past University Drive, the 24th ave road pavement is deteriorating and starting to break up in places, so when they get around to repaving it, they might put in bike lanes?

Back