News   Apr 03, 2020
 4.6K     1 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 6.5K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 3.7K     0 

Calgary Bike Lanes and Bike Paths

The problem with the proposed path is for regular commuters who ride at a good pace, the jog on 7th ave is going to be a pain in the ass. Many may just go straight down 4th if there is no train coming. I like that the city is looking at doing a path for the area, it's too bad it wasn't designed earlier.
It's too bad they didn't plan the cycle track out earlier they could have made the 7th ave jog less clunky. I know it's right in the middle of celebration square, but most of the time that square is empty.

View attachment 200664

One positive thing to remember is that the city could reconfigure Celebration Square fairly easily and have the cycle track go alongside the LRT track, and move the square to the east side of the cycle track. It would have been good to do this in the beginning, but it's not too late.

One positive thing to remember is that the city could reconfigure Celebration Square fairly easily and have the cycle track go alongside the LRT track, and move the square to the east side of the cycle track. It would have been good to do this in the beginning, but it's not too late.

The cycletrack isn't actually going through the square, it's going down the lane next to the square by the hostel. That lane is removing the westside parking lane for the cycletrack. The map posted above isn't accurate to what is on the City or CMLC's website, the square should be unaffected.

Totally agree that the jog eastward is dumb and should have been thought about ahead of time. Hopefully the quality of the connections and crossings will make up for it once built.

https://www.calgary.ca/Transportati...ents/east-village-4-st-se-cycle-track-map.pdf

His map, as he mentioned, is what should have been done, not what he thinks is being done.

His map, as he mentioned, is what should have been done, not what he thinks is being done.
Ah I mis-read that, apologies @Surrealplaces . I don't mind how they ended up configuring it - that AAA goal (which is a good goal) kind of forced this one off the logical answer, right along 4th Street SE to the river. The fully signaled, angled LRT tracks really makes that route tricky without compromising safety for inexperienced users.

Ah I mis-read that, apologies @Surrealplaces . I don't mind how they ended up configuring it - that AAA goal (which is a good goal) kind of forced this one off the logical answer, right along 4th Street SE to the river. The fully signaled, angled LRT tracks really makes that route tricky without compromising safety for inexperienced users.
No worries. Unfortunately that's the case with the lrt there, it doesn't make a good safe cycle track. It's much safer to go around it...just too bad it wasn't a more direct path like the one on the map. Maybe after the cyclists are using it for a while they can petition the city to adjust it.

Question regarding cycle track counters. Does anyone know if the counters along the cycle tracks are real time for update at intervals? The reason I ask is I passed a cycle track counter and then passed the same one in the poolside direction about 20 minutes later and it was still the same count. Do they only count in One direction?

Nimbus is correct, they increase the count right within a few seconds usually.
Question regarding cycle track counters. Does anyone know if the counters along the cycle tracks are real time for update at intervals? The reason I ask is I passed a cycle track counter and then passed the same one in the poolside direction about 20 minutes later and it was still the same count. Do they only count in One direction?

12 ave cycle track extension to 15st in full swing. Getting painted soon and concrete going in after.

Great news!

Any word on the 2nd street cycle track?

I thought the city was suppose to do work on that street this summer.

Great news!

Any word on the 2nd street cycle track?

I thought the city was suppose to do work on that street this summer.
According to the cities roadway map 2nd st is scheduled for paving next year (https://maps.calgary.ca/RoadwayActivities/) I'd guess that might be happening together

I also took a scoot over to east village today to check on the 4th st bike lane, lots of work going on so hopeful that one is ready sooner than later

Might be busted, I watch the Riverwalk one count up about two seconds after a rider passes the sensor in the pathway. They do attempt to count the different directions, based on the section you ride over.
The one I was talking about is the one on the Riverwalk, so you're probably right. It might have been busted..

Gotta love Rick Bell's tweets and articles He tweets about the 12th ave cycle track extension being empty before it's finished construction. lol. I'm not opposed to people criticizing the cycle tracks, it's a democratic society and the cycle tracks are the same as anything else the city does. Things need to be done properly, and money put where best needed, but this kind of journalism is really annoying.

RB.jpg

Back