Votes: 18 47.4%
  • So So

Votes: 2 5.3%
  • Not Very Good

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Terrible

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Drove past Avli this morning. I didn't get a really good look at the tiles, but they looked great, the whole building looks great. Southbank looks great too. Inglewood is looking great these days.

Kinda weird that they decided to go with the grey cinder blocks for that one corner, isn't it? Other than that the building looks great!

I love this building. It's a bit on the busy side, but it's a standout building that everyone will notice. The metal tiles (even if some are a bit dodgy etc) look great as a whole. A notch up on other small developments in Calgary, and hopefully something that will spur other developments to think outside the box.

I love this building. It's a bit on the busy side, but it's a standout building that everyone will notice. The metal tiles (even if some are a bit dodgy etc) look great as a whole. A notch up on other small developments in Calgary, and hopefully something that will spur other developments to think outside the box.
Agreed. I really appreciate the dual-sided design applied here, opens up so many more possibilities into the future. Alleys don't always have to be for back-of-house operations like garbage and vehicle access, nor does back-of-house operations always have to be sanitized and made invisible from daily life.

While physically tiny, this corner of Inglewood is starting to develop stronger bones to support it's urban renaissance. Building from a few cool - but small - nodes that gave the area a culture in the first place from the 1990s to 2000s, next came the festivals (temporary), then came the restaurants and breweries (more permanent), then came the condos and alley-fronting development (permanent). I doubt that their is enough development capacity to truly make the neighbourhood self-sustainable by the local population, but as having a few hundred more locals will help and be noticeable given it's coming from such a small existing population base. Add an LRT station and those bones keep getting stronger.

One trajectory that I could see happening is the whole area evolve into a weird, post-gentrified 21st century version of Toronto's Kensington Market full of weird shops, alley retail, converted houses, patios, artists, galleries etc. If anyone saw how busy and urban the neighbourhood felt during the Night Market this past weekend it's getting into the realm of possibility - if we let it continue to evolve that way of course.

100% I think of Inglewood as Calgary's most diverse neighborhood, in terms of architecture and vibe. I was at the night market the other might and was impressed by how much it's grown, and was impressed by the different types of people and the varying vibe.
One trajectory that I could see happening is the whole area evolve into a weird, post-gentrified 21st century version of Toronto's Kensington Market full of weird shops, alley retail, converted houses, patios, artists, galleries etc. If anyone saw how busy and urban the neighbourhood felt during the Night Market this past weekend it's getting into the realm of possibility - if we let it continue to evolve that way of course.

This would require a major change in how zoning works in this city (and in North American generally). Kensington Market is a product of a time when people could just set up a butcher shop in their house without having to go to council to request a zoning change, do 2 years of community engagement, providing dozens of parking spots, etc., etc.

This would require a major change in how zoning works in this city (and in North American generally). Kensington Market is a product of a time when people could just set up a butcher shop in their house without having to go to council to request a zoning change, do 2 years of community engagement, providing dozens of parking spots, etc., etc.
Yeah that was what I was trying to hit on with the "weird, post-gentrified 21st century" version of it comment: without major reversal on how land uses are regulated there is no way to head back to that time that produced Kensington Market in Toronto. Instead we might get a strange version where alleys are filled with live-work lofts, expensive condos and a diversity of shops filtering throughout the neigbourhood (as has already happened with some of Inglewood's own history before no-fun land use policies became a thing.

Back