Votes: 7 7.4%
  • Not Very Good

Votes: 3 3.2%
  • Terrible

Votes: 1 1.1%

• Total voters
EFC56AE0-204F-4EE0-970D-36A89F38593D.jpeg

Off topic here but I blame the above photos for that:
Is there any plan for the old central library lot?
Is the property still owned by the City?
Oh I know right, that and the CBE building that needs to be demolished.
U of C uses the old central library building for some of their architectural faculties

Oh I know right, that and the CBE building that needs to be demolished.
I'll defend that CBE building forever.

I know some people don't like the style, but I've yet to see a valid argument for demolishing it beyond "I've never studied design and I think it's ugly." We spent a large part of the 20th century destroying Victorian architecture for the same reason, we now consider those buildings masterpieces and the people who destroyed them monsters. I'm not saying preserve everything ever built, but even the smallest amount of perspective would enable us to see this piece's particular value.

I'd be thrilled to see a really aggressive adaptive reuse. Big change of use, open up the ground floor at street level, add a few residential towers, and redo the interior and landscaping - parking structure especially. It's probably the city's best example of brutalist architecture, don't throw it away, especially when we already have so many empty parking lots.

I know some people don't like the style, but I've yet to see a valid argument for demolishing it beyond "I've never studied design and I think it's ugly." We spent a large part of the 20th century destroying Victorian architecture for the same reason, we now consider those buildings masterpieces and the people who destroyed them monsters. I'm not saying preserve everything ever built, but even the smallest amount of perspective would enable us to see this piece's particular value.

I'd be thrilled to see a really aggressive adaptive reuse. Big change of use, open up the ground floor at street level, add a few residential towers, and redo the interior and landscaping - parking structure especially. It's probably the city's best example of brutalist architecture, don't throw it away, especially when we already have so many empty parking lots.
You're comparing victorian architecture to 80's architecture. You wanna also compare modern home interior design with 70's orange carpets, vertical plank wood walls, and flowery vinyl kitchen floors?
Some eras are just ugly.

I think if something is perceived ugly by the majority, regardless of its architectural or historical significance, it should be torn down or redeveloped. If we did a city-wide survey, I'm betting all savings that an overwhelming majority of Calgarians would vote for redevelopment rather than keep this dump around. No heart feelings, but IMO, it's just so depressing. I'd rather take a Cidex podium with a spandrel finished tower

I think if something is perceived ugly by the majority, regardless of its architectural or historical significance, it should be torn down or redeveloped. If we did a city-wide survey, I'm betting all savings that an overwhelming majority of Calgarians would vote for redevelopment rather than keep this dump around. No heart feelings, but IMO, it's just so depressing. I'd rather take a Cidex podium with a spandrel finished tower
An ideal situation would be to pull a Toronto and redevelop the site while still keeping some of the facade/historical elements.

Back