News   Apr 03, 2020
 4.7K     1 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 6.6K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 3.8K     0 

Calgary & Alberta Economy

Lmfao! Wow. What a winner.
Got to love someone coming in here and making baseless assumptions while being completely unwilling to logically defend them.

This place is extremely reasonable, but you have to be willing to defend a stance. That stance is actually defensible with some effort IMO, but the truth is that Biden is not "anti-corporation" he is just pro- middle class american. It's not his fault that corporate policies and initiatives have largely become counter productive to middle class development- there are corporations that actively fight this too, but by and large it is large american corporations that have purposely positioned themselves against the population in policy terms.

I attended U of A and then worked for an international fraternity. As such I had the fortune of visiting many campuses and experiencing campus life across NA. I might suggest that you didn't get the full U of A experience. I also think you're selling SFU a bit short. They don't compare to some out east (Queens, for e.g. can throw down) but they have reasonably thriving campus life. The U of C really lags behind here, but the recent development plans along University Ave may help to fix this longer term. IMO there is just not really any big nodes around campus in which to socialize and create that unique campus culture.

My favourite school in NA for campus life was Texas A & M. Berkeley close second.

ohhh what fraternity you part of? I am a brother of Zeta Psi at U of C.

K dude my point wasn't to trigger you, but I don't need to go attend every school to know UofC or Uofa don't stack up to any of the other schools I mentioned for campus life. What do you want me to do? carry out a poll or survey? even that would have a bias. This a purely subjective thing where you can't carry out a scientific experiment to result in a definite conclusion. It's an opinion and I'm going off of well-trusted friends that have attended UofC or UofA and went on to other grad schools so I'm more than happy to give them the benefit of doubt.

And btw, I have been to UoA, multiple times to visit my good friend during our undergrad and I've gone to UBC a few times for the beach before the lockdown hit as my company has got me working out in Vancouver on contract. There's a considerable amount of difference between UofA and UBC. I can't speak for the extra-circular activities if you think taking someone else's opinion isn't valid for a claim like this but how does UofA even compete on paper? Just for starters, UBC Vancouver has 16k+ more students than UofA, isolated away from the city by a dense forest and along with a kick a** beach. It acts like a small town in itself. When I visited it was hella busy, more so than any of the times I can remember visiting UoA.

Now that you mentioned Reddit (which I wasn't even going to source until you pointed it out, BTW GME to the Moon🚀), their opinions are leaning in the same direction. It's an opinion and seems the majority are leaning in one way. I think if 18-year-olds are resorting to Reddit to narrow down their school choices then obviously UofA isn't going to attract many teens based on campus life. Come to think of it when I was 18, stupid, and applying for schools I visited plenty of Reddit forums as well. The only reason I ended up picking UoC at the time was that I would graduate debt-free living with my parents. Although those Reddit posts were pretty persuasive to the 18-year-old me. But anyway, I guess I'll refrain from making any more opinionated statements without sound evidence, even if multiple, well-trusted people around me are saying the same thing, I guess I'll just shrug it off as correlation.
Sorry, didn't see your response. What you need to do is go back and carefully read my comment and try to understand why I was criticizing your claim about campus life. This rambling doesn't suffice i'm afraid.

Capture.PNG

Ryan Jespersen had the former CEO of Husky on his show yesterday, where he admitted that large scale pipeline projects make very little sense today.
If the oil companies have known this for so long, why is our bumbling leader sinking all of our public funds into these projects? Is he being purposely mislead by industry? If so, there should be severe fines and penalties. If not he is proving to be utterly incompetent, again.

As he is a former CEO, I would like to hear from the current CEO's of Suncor and CNRL whether they would agree with those statements. I don't think Trans Canada would go to all this trouble, time and significant investment to build another pipeline to the U.S. if they did not believe there was demand to justify it. At one time, there was talk about 4 additional pipelines in Canada. Now we are down to one for the most part ... TMX expansion. Post pandemic, the world will return to consuming 100 million barrels of oil per day and increase on that until reaching peak demand. I don't know how he can say there is a surplus of pipelines or oil production .. today maybe .. 2022 and beyond?

Nah. Another tool in the economic tool box for sure. And a good thing. But the entire world yearly lithium market is worth less than 1/10th of Alberta’s petroleum exports.
I almost meant it politically as I did economically. I like the fact that it kills three birds with one stone so to speak: An opportunity to help with the orphan well issue in the province. If successful, another company jumping in on the global green movement headquartered in Calgary. And then another hypothetical pending on it's success, a possible boon to Alberta's laggard economy.

Nah. Another tool in the economic tool box for sure. And a good thing. But the entire world yearly lithium market is worth less than 1/10th of Alberta’s petroleum exports.
Maybe not a game changer, but very promising. True it won't replace oil and gas as we see it today, but World demand for lithium is expected to almost triple from 2020 to 2024. This could be a significant boost to Alberta.

Hello there!
I'm new to Calgary's Skyrisecities forum, but I have been active in Edmonton's one for a while now.
Wanted to know if anyone here would be interested in having a shared thread, between the two forums, to debate joint actions and plans that both cities could/should pursue to ensure growth and development, considering how they complement each other in so many (different) ways.

Just started one in the transportation and infrastructure section of the Alberta forum. Thanks for the idea.

This would be a game changer.
E3 Metals stock price has gone through the roof. It was 19 cents a year ago and now over $3. Not sure why as other Canadian lithium stocks have not performed as well. As has already been pointed out the demand for lithium is still pretty low in comparison to other minerals and resources. Alberta will be competing with other jurisdictions (i.e Quebec) when demand ramps up.

This place is extremely reasonable, but you have to be willing to defend a stance. That stance is actually defensible with some effort IMO, but the truth is that Biden is not "anti-corporation" he is just pro- middle class american. It's not his fault that corporate policies and initiatives have largely become counter productive to middle class development- there are corporations that actively fight this too, but by and large it is large american corporations that have purposely positioned themselves against the population in policy terms.
This is getting off the topic of Calgary and & Alberta's economy, but... Didn't Biden spend most of his career defending all of the credit card companies based out of Delaware? He's your typical pragmatist politician whose positions are based on what is politically advantageous at any given moment. I don't say that as a bad thing. But he will absolutely defend business interests that he sees as essential to maintaining a successful governing coalition. The fact is that the KXL has become more of a cultural symbol in the US rather than an actual economic issue. As David Plotz joked on the Slate Political Gabfest podcast, 100 years from now, deauthorizing or reauthorizing KXL will become some weird political ritual that takes place whenever a new president takes office and no one will remember why - like pardoning a turkey on Thanksgiving.

Back