News   Apr 03, 2020
 4.7K     1 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 6.6K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 3.8K     0 

Calgary & Alberta Economy

This is getting off the topic of Calgary and & Alberta's economy, but... Didn't Biden spend most of his career defending all of the credit card companies based out of Delaware? He's your typical pragmatist politician whose positions are based on what is politically advantageous at any given moment. I don't say that as a bad thing. But he will absolutely defend business interests that he sees as essential to maintaining a successful governing coalition. The fact is that the KXL has become more of a cultural symbol in the US rather than an actual economic issue. As David Plotz joked on the Slate Political Gabfest podcast, 100 years from now, deauthorizing or reauthorizing KXL will become some weird political ritual that takes place whenever a new president takes office and no one will remember why - like pardoning a turkey on Thanksgiving.
Biden's a career politician. He's a breath of fresh air after dealing with the previous freakshow of a president, but Biden is still a career politician, and the situation is exactly as you say, he'll do whatever helps help get elected or stay in power. I don't know this for sure, but it wouldn't surprise me if he didn't care much about Keystone either way.

Biden's a career politician. He's a breath of fresh air after dealing with the previous freakshow of a president, but Biden is still a career politician, and the situation is exactly as you say, he'll do whatever helps help get elected or stay in power. I don't know this for sure, but it wouldn't surprise me if he didn't care much about Keystone either way.
Keystone XL was planned for the express purpose of transporting more heavy oil from the oil sands to the U.S. Knowing this, the environmentalists were all over it from day one. I have heard Biden speak about 'bitumen' almost spitting the word out. He and Obama bought into what the anti-oilsands campaign was saying ... that 'demon' bitumen product! The silly thing is, those refineries in the Gulf want and need the heavy oil otherwise they have to source it from somewhere else. In other words, with or without Keystone XL ... the same volume of heavy oil is going to be sourced and consumed, and the environment will be no better off ... it just won't be Canadian heavy oil.
If this was a multi-purpose pipeline, it may have stood more of a chance of getting built. I do agree though. Let's move on. Stop flogging a dead horse! Nothing is going to change with it until the U.S decides they can't meet their own energy demand.

Yeah. We (as a province) made a mistake drawing attention to us thinking there would only be upside. In the end we got the worst of both. A boom in FDI which squeezed out other industries (it was nice on the up swing though!!) and a bust during the payback periods.

I kinda wonder what an alternate timeline would be like if we never attempted to market Alberta's oil sands outside of boardrooms from 2000-2010.

Keystone XL was planned for the express purpose of transporting more heavy oil from the oil sands to the U.S. Knowing this, the environmentalists were all over it from day one. I have heard Biden speak about 'bitumen' almost spitting the word out. He and Obama bought into what the anti-oilsands campaign was saying ... that 'demon' bitumen product! The silly thing is, those refineries in the Gulf want and need the heavy oil otherwise they have to source it from somewhere else. In other words, with or without Keystone XL ... the same volume of heavy oil is going to be sourced and consumed, and the environment will be no better off ... it just won't be Canadian heavy oil.
If this was a multi-purpose pipeline, it may have stood more of a chance of getting built. I do agree though. Let's move on. Stop flogging a dead horse! Nothing is going to change with it until the U.S decides they can't meet their own energy demand.
Did they buy into it personally or did they do it to appease a segment of their support?I think Surreal's point is that in politics people will say all kinds of things in order to give an appearance. I agree with you, in the end it doesn't matter as the result is the same.

Hello there!
I'm new to Calgary's Skyrisecities forum, but I have been active in Edmonton's one for a while now.
Wanted to know if anyone here would be interested in having a shared thread, between the two forums, to debate joint actions and plans that both cities could/should pursue to ensure growth and development, considering how they complement each other in so many (different) ways.

The threads I made in the Alberta section a couple days ago have been removed, so, not sure what to do from here.

Sucks cause I made 4 or 5 threads and wrote significant bits for each of them. Ugh.

Qatar is building a mega LNG plant which will dwarf what is currently under construction in B.C. Because of the size, theirs won't be ready to produce for several years. If we can get our 'shit together' in Canada and agree that there is huge opportunity for natural gas exports that are much less harmful to the environment than oil an coal production; we might be able to pre-empt some of that business that Qatar is looking to book into the future. Most of that increased demand is expected to come from Asia... perfect for exporting from our west coast.
Perhaps we can accelerate other natural gas projects in Alberta & B.C. with the same objective in mind. We ... business + federal & provincial governments + the general public just have to 'pull on the same oar'. It would be nice to have Canada-wide agreement on something that would be huge for the economy and minimal impact to the environment.

Comes down to the cost of not using slave labour to build it.

Kitimat LNG is all permitted no? No need for a new joint review panel? They even could dump their dedicated pipeline and go in on coastal gas link to dramatically make both projects even more economic.

Last edited:
Super interesting geothermal breakthrough technology being developed in Alberta. I don't believe the company is based here but their website says they have an office in Calgary. Anyways its really good to see Alberta's industry expertise being used for green innovation!
New Atlas: Big oil invests in Eavor's "holy grail" pump-free geothermal loops.

Super interesting geothermal breakthrough technology being developed in Alberta. I don't believe the company is based here but their website says they have an office in Calgary. Anyways its really good to see Alberta's industry expertise being used for green innovation!
New Atlas: Big oil invests in Eavor's "holy grail" pump-free geothermal loops.
They were Calgary based in 2019.

Of course, energy investments in Calgary being how they are, it seems they chose to adopt a Bay Area strategy for raising money (including executives with Bay Area phone numbers). California is a huge potential market for Eavor. Lots of potential there. Enough that once the tech is proven on a single installation in California, there will be an almost immediate moving of oil field service to focus on geothermal in California, rather than marginal oil and gas plays.

these are the kind of jobs that can ramp up in Calgary in a low oil price economy. We have low cost of living, high quality of life, and a much better immigration system than the US. But when any idiot that could type got a job as an IT manager at an oil company making $200k/year, the middle-skill middle-income employers stayed away. Hopefully we see more of this trend towards a more normalized labour market.

Back