News   Apr 03, 2020
 4.8K     1 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 6.6K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 3.8K     0 

Calgary & Alberta Economy

Tmx isn’t the only game in town to ease capacity issues. Line 3 will be first, kxl next, tmx last.

TMX is our only hope of getting product to markets, other than the U.S. What do we when the day comes that the U.S says we don't need your oil any more, or we will buy half as much as we used to?

For those that are interested, the other two companies to have received funding through the City's innovation fund are ATTAbotics, and Mobsquad (which works out of the newly renovated Encana Place tower). ATTAbotics develops and manufactures automated warehouse fulfilment technology and Mobsquad is a remote talent hub for tech companies.

Normally I don't like to see government money poured into starting new industries. It sounds good in theory, but most of the time doesn't work out. Given the small amount I think it's a good idea. Diversification is good.

Not totally jobs related, but interesting and could have a minor effect on the economy
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/city-council-solar-farm-industrial-1.5010715?cmp=rss

calgary-solar-farm.jpg

New World Interactive-- a Denver based video game developer-- will be opening up a development office in Inglewood this may. Some more positive news for our tech industry. https://livewirecalgary.com/2019/02...new-world-interactive-to-open-calgary-studio/

I am a believer in the long-term diversification and growth of the Calgary economy because of stories like this. We have the quality of life combined with much lower housing costs that will be very attractive to technology companies. Denver is the obvious analogue in the US - there came a point when SF, LA, and Seattle just became too expensive for even relatively high paid engineering talent, and that led to huge growth in Denver, along with Austin, Salt Lake, and the like.

I think we are at a similar point with the cost difference between Toronto/Vancouver and everywhere else in Canada. Calgary is my top pick in Canada for economic development over the next 10 years, Kelowna is #2.

I am a believer in the long-term diversification and growth of the Calgary economy because of stories like this. We have the quality of life combined with much lower housing costs that will be very attractive to technology companies. Denver is the obvious analogue in the US - there came a point when SF, LA, and Seattle just became too expensive for even relatively high paid engineering talent, and that led to huge growth in Denver, along with Austin, Salt Lake, and the like.

I think we are at a similar point with the cost difference between Toronto/Vancouver and everywhere else in Canada. Calgary is my top pick in Canada for economic development over the next 10 years, Kelowna is #2.
I agree. There is only so much Toronto and Vancouver to go around and Calgary is well positioned to capture some of the spillover. One thing I will say, is that while it is nice to hear about companies moving to Calgary, the focus needs to be on creating a good ecosystem for startup companies in this city to scale up and be successful. Calgary paid almost no attention to its startup ecosystem in the early/mid 2000's which is one of the reasons it fell behind cities like Ottawa. Fortunately that has changed in the last five or so years and you are seeing good growth in non- O&G startups. Benevity and Greengate Power are two companies worth checking out.

Could be good for Calgary, but could also go the other way depending. Solium was a growing company and good for Calgary. Hopefully MS doesn't shutter it.
Word is that Solium will stay headquartered in Calgary and that MS will continue to invest in Solium's growth. Hopefully that will be the case as MS is a big name to have backing you and it should be good for Calgary.

Word is that Solium will stay headquartered in Calgary and that MS will continue to invest in Solium's growth. Hopefully that will be the case as MS is a big name to have backing you and it should be good for Calgary.

I had option/PSU/RSU based pay at a previous job and it was my strong impression that HR was tracking them with spreadsheets and hope, until they got Solium to take them over. Their app is well built, integrates with Mint/Personal Capital/etc, and gives you confidence that you will get paid correctly! Great product from a great Calgary company that I hope will stay here in some capacity.

Back