4ourteen West | ?m | 3s | JR Mercantile Group

I think because it's an office building. If it was residential it definitely would have been wood framing.

I'm curious why they chose steel and concrete construction... For what appears to be a 3 story building, wood framing would be much cheaper.

You can't wood-frame office structures, especially what I imagine will be medical offices. Or, well, I guess you can... it's just not done.

You can do small office buildings in wood (not sure the maximum area and I'm not going to go read the code right now lol), the problem is wood doesn't span very far, and you want large, open floor areas for an office building.

You can do small office buildings in wood (not sure the maximum area and I'm not going to go read the code right now lol), the problem is wood doesn't span very far, and you want large, open floor areas for an office building.
Thx! That makes sense. Not enough load bearing walls I guess..

35298155064_e35c5113dc_z.jpg

The second floor is poured, and they were working on the third this morning.

Attachments

• 35298155064_e35c5113dc_z.jpg
    35298155064_e35c5113dc_z.jpg
    156.3 KB · Views: 305
Glass looks good, hope the spandrel doesn't ruin it! This isn't anything special in terms of the architecture, but I think this building will do a ton for that stretch of 14th. Once you cross 12ave, 14st turns to shit pretty much instantly!

Agreed. That area right around 14th and 11th/12th needs a boost. I wish something would happen with the old Super Drug Mart.

So far the delivered product has exceeded my expectations on this one. Well, apart from the name that is... fourourteen. :confused:

I put up a map of the area of the NW Beltine a couple months ago when discussing another project for the area. This is only a small step in the right direction. There are so many empty lots and underutilized and derelict structures. And what is already developed generally isn't that special. No necessarily bad, but certainly not pretty in the context of the area. Here's hoping we see more for the blocks from 11th Street SW to 18th Street SW and 10th Avenue SW to 17th Ave SW.

So far the delivered product has exceeded my expectations on this one. Well, apart from the name that is... fourourteen. :confused:

I put up a map of the area of the NW Beltine a couple months ago when discussing another project for the area. This is only a small step in the right direction. There are so many empty lots and underutilized and derelict structures. And what is already developed generally isn't that special. No necessarily bad, but certainly not pretty in the context of the area. Here's hoping we see more for the blocks from 11th Street SW to 18th Street SW and 10th Avenue SW to 17th Ave SW.

Totally agree. NW Beltline suffers similarly like all our other major auto-oriented entryways to the city centre: 9th Avenue, 4th Avenue NE flyover area, Macleod couplet, West End & 14th Street. All have been effectively eroded as urban places thanks to an sustained effort by the Transportation Department over half a century to incorporate cars as the only form of transportation that really matters. it isn't surprising that all of these areas are not particularly nice places to live thanks to constant noise, dust and traffic.

Of course, development is slowly changing this. Macleod's condo tower boom, the East Village etc. However, what continues to be missing is any real consideration of adjusting the transportation policies that help ingrain the built form to be as crappy as it is. 11th / 12th remain 4 or 5 lane one-ways despite a decade of talk to convert back to two-way traffic, green-wave signal timing is universally commuter/speed/capacity focused, old road right-of-way setbacks remain in place despite no imaginable (or good) future where the roadways would ever be expanded past their already gargantuan size.

If the City took legitimate steps to urbanize the area to be more about living and working there rather than passing through, perhaps developers would too.

Back