Votes: 11 26.2%
  • So So

Votes: 2 4.8%
  • Not Very Good

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Terrible

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I doubt that site sits empty for long. Seems too valuable/lucrative of a corner to leave untouched and not generating revenue. Design the right building (and position it as an anchor for east 17th) there and people start migrating there/further east down 17th for sure.

I doubt that site sits empty for long. Seems too valuable/lucrative of a corner to leave untouched and not generating revenue. Design the right building (and position it as an anchor for east 17th) there and people start migrating there/further east down 17th for sure.

I love your optimism but downtown Calgary is riddled with examples of lots that seem too valuable to leave untouched and yet just sit there for years on end

I hope it doesn't stay an empty lot. Calgary's a funny place. We'll tear down existing buildings, even old apartment buildings with character, but places like this sit empty for decades.

1687235391437.png

There's an over supply of office space. The building may not have been demolished in order to develop the site. It may have come down so that the owner doesn't have to deal with a vacant building. In that regards, it makes sense to create another empty lot until redevelopment

Conversion to residential is not cheap with shaky profitability.

I would expect more demolitions

I hope it doesn't stay an empty lot. Calgary's a funny place. We'll tear down existing buildings, even old apartment buildings with character, but places like this sit empty for decades.

View attachment 486639
There was a plan to develop that site, and there was even a rendering at one time. I'm talking 20 years ago though. Hard to believe a decent location like that would sit empty for so long.

There was a plan to develop that site, and there was even a rendering at one time. I'm talking 20 years ago though. Hard to believe a decent location like that would sit empty for so long.
I swear sites like this are forgotten in the owner's portfolio. It's probably such a small line item in all their expenses that it doesn't even register.

I swear sites like this are forgotten in the owner's portfolio. It's probably such a small line item in all their expenses that it doesn't even register.

I really, really want to start my own development firm one day and purchase / develop medium density properties like this one, with a niche focus on really creative/elite/modern architecture.

Cidex is fortunate to be partnered with a 100 billion dollar pension fund with intent to expand their portfolio with 1000s of new units. There's just not many of those around. Others go project to project finding investors to build and follow that with finding a buyer for a majority stake to pay off the investors and make a little managing the property. It doesn't matter how quickly a building rents out. Traditional lenders just aren't giving out mortgages to build $50 plus million rental high rises.

Yeah it was some pomo lowrise residential project - probably from around 1995. The project on the south part of the lot went up in the late 90s.

I might be wrong, but I'm remembering the name "The Janus". Just can't remember for sure it was for that location.
That is correct! It had a sign fronting 17th with a low quality rendering. It looked like to inspired by the Lincoln Memorial in DC🤮

I should remember what was on that site prior to demolition. I went to St Mary's and hung out on 17th all of the time

Back