1216 8th Street | 85.04m | 25s | Great West Life | Zeidler

Edit: Beaten by Surreal.

Can't find much to complain about. Reminds me a bit of Portfolio. A decent middle of the road forgettable design that activates the streetscape and provides residents in a core area.
Totally. It's as if they borrowed the plans for Portfolio and changed a couple of things.

A bit higher resolution of a render here...

Screen Shot 2021-02-12 at 12.21.54 PM.png

I don't mind the tower at all, a great filler. However, the ground floor could have been done much better if they cared about enhancing the pedestrian experience on a retail street. A small setback with a nice brick podium would have gone a long way.

This project got me thinking just now... does Calgary zoning law just not allow for decent podiums? Looking at Versus, 11 & 11, the Mark, Park Point, and a ton of others including this one... and only one recent project in this city has a decent scaled podium, Park Central. I wonder what is stopping the city or whatever, maybe developers, from allowing more podium then tower on top. It increases the amount of possible units, makes it more pedestrian scaled, and minimizes the psychological impact of the tower. I just don't understand it. Even Edmonton does podiums better than us generally.

This project got me thinking just now... does Calgary zoning law just not allow for decent podiums? Looking at Versus, 11 & 11, the Mark, Park Point, and a ton of others including this one... and only one recent project in this city has a decent scaled podium, Park Central. I wonder what is stopping the city or whatever, maybe developers, from allowing more podium then tower on top. It increases the amount of possible units, makes it more pedestrian scaled, and minimizes the psychological impact of the tower. I just don't understand it. Even Edmonton does podiums better than us generally.

Good question. Is it a function of the FAR (floor area ratio) and developers don't want to blow their wad at lower floors where a higher $/sqft for rentals or sales could be commanded on higher floors?

Back