News   Apr 02, 2020
 6.5K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 3.7K     0 

2021 Federal Election

JonnyCanuck

Member Bio
Reaction score
I thought I would open this thread as we are probably going to need one.

My two cents ... this is the last thing Canadians need to be concerned with... just two years after the last election. Contrary to the b.s. that came out of Trudeau's mouth yesterday ....
"The election comes at a "pivotal, consequential moment" for Canada. We will be taking decisions that will last not just for the coming months but for the coming decades. Canadians deserve their say. That's exactly what we're going to give them," he told reporters.....
I don't know of anyone other than the Liberal government who was calling for this election, at this time. Hopefully, this will back fire on him.

Last edited:
I'm really curious to see how this plays out. Honestly most people I talk to seem pretty apathetic regarding this election, myself included. Given the narrative that the Liberals will likely win I suspect most parties will have a difficult time getting out the vote. If there's a significant split on the left and turnout is particularly low, the conservatives could do surprisingly well.

I think you are right. Turnout could be much lower than previous elections. Not sure who that would favour or it could be equally felt across all parties. I would say that if the NDP and the Bloc increase their votes (potentially seats) in Quebec, then it will be at the expense of the Liberals. Same with the NDP in Ontario.
While Trudeau is betting on a majority, this could end up costing him the election or he gets another minority government. The last two outcomes will probably mean his departure as leader.

I thought I would open this thread as we are probably going to need one.

My two cents ... this is the last thing Canadians need to be concerned with... just two years after the last election. Contrary to the b.s. that came out of Trudeau's mouth yesterday ....
"The election comes at a "pivotal, consequential moment" for Canada. We will be taking decisions that will last not just for the coming months but for the coming decades. Canadians deserve their say. That's exactly what we're going to give them," he told reporters.....
I don't know of anyone other than the Liberal government who was calling for this election, at this time. Hopefully, this will back fire on him.
?
1629145098258.png

"As soon as I become leader, I will table a motion of no confidence in the government.”

That was before the pandemic seized the country and ... there was never any motion of non-confidence because the NDP/Bloc allowed the Liberals to pass virtually any legislation they wanted to.

The Liberals governing as a minority government has been bearable. The last thing I want to see is another 4 years of a majority Liberal government. This election has very little to do with Canadians and more with JT and his party being a bunch of opportunists and grabbing 4 years of resistance-free power.

That was before the pandemic seized the country and ... there was never any motion of non-confidence because the NDP/Bloc allowed the Liberals to pass virtually any legislation they wanted to.
They moved the motion, they just lost. That doesn’t mean they didn’t move it.

they wanted an election last fall. So did the NDP until they thought through it.

I think the Conservatives should hope that annoyance with the election causes some blow back on the Liberals. On the other hand, the argument "my opponents only want an election because they think more people will vote for them", is really not a good campaign message.

Yeah he wants his 4 year swan song for sure, I just think our budget can't afford his endless spending. I don't mind O'Toole, but his party comes with all the social conservative nutcases. F&*% the Greens, and the NDP want to bury the economy of this province to make themselves feel good, so it's a tough call.

I think the best outcome for all Canadians on either side of the spectrum would be a weak Liberal minority. A Conservative minority seems difficult at this point. O'Toole does seem more progressive but hicks like Jason Kenney and Doug Ford aren't much help to O'Toole's image.

I doubt he'll run again if they win a majority government, or loose. If a minority, you get stuck where you can't resign .

If he's following in his father's footsteps, he should get a....

1. majority in 2015 (check)
2. slim minority in 2019 (check)
3. majority again in 2021 (looking that way?)
4. narrowly defeated in 2026
5. back to a majority in 2027
6.finally retire in 2031 just before the Liberals get decimated and kicked out of power for a decade.

(credit to Paul Fairie for pointing this out on Twitter back in 2019)

Back