1st St Chinatown Tower Development | ?m | 28s | El Condor Lands | Perkins + Will

Chinatown has some residents that are going to fight this very hard, I've heard some of the things that have come up during the consultations with the community and some people are very firmly against it. Will be interesting to see what happens...

Great looking development but I could never live there due to the stress. I'd be looking out my window thinking Telus Sky is so so close but I just can't see it.

Thought we might as well start one up for this beast...

Image1 (1).jpg

fullsizeoutput_1313.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_1318.jpeg

Attachments

• fullsizeoutput_1313.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_1313.jpeg
    100.9 KB · Views: 991
  • fullsizeoutput_1318.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_1318.jpeg
    72.9 KB · Views: 925
  • Image1 (1).jpg
    Image1 (1).jpg
    202.1 KB · Views: 964
Last edited by a moderator:
I liked it much better before I realized that the central link between 2nd Ave and 3rd Ave is a road and not a pedestrian corridor. I can't see any possible reason for needing vehicular access at that part of the development, especially considering it's all retail fronting it. Make those connections pedestrian only and stick some public art or some sort of gathering place in the middle where they all meet and I think you've got yourself a great public space in the making that would be an asset for Chinatown.

That road is more of a natural woonerf in my opinion even if not labeled as such, narrow, hopefully with parking, creating a tight alley type space which doesn't have straight lines, approximating an organic less planned alley streetscape found in many older China-town type areas.

I'd much rather have an environment like that than a inward facing potential dead zone. I can see potential to close it for night market type things.

I liked it much better before I realized that the central link between 2nd Ave and 3rd Ave is a road and not a pedestrian corridor. I can't see any possible reason for needing vehicular access at that part of the development, especially considering it's all retail fronting it. Make those connections pedestrian only and stick some public art or some sort of gathering place in the middle where they all meet and I think you've got yourself a great public space in the making that would be an asset for Chinatown.
I noticed that too. Given the way it's a narrow road....probably a one way street, and also not a straight road, I'm thinking it'll be alright.

I like the way the developer/architect have gone with retail units facing inwards as well as facing out on the street. In that regard, they've certainly captured the essence of Chinatown.

This looks like a great project to me. I can't see any reason for opposition to it, it fits in okay, but more importantly it brings new retail to the west side of Chinatown.

Here are two photos that show a similar space as the north/south corridor here in the UK. What I didn't capture in the pictures was the small playground area full of kids that was also part of this. In my mind this should be the basic minimum we are expecting with this development. Anything that involves cars is a failure.

IMG_20180725_1509263.jpg
IMG_20180725_1450536.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20180725_1509263.jpg
    IMG_20180725_1509263.jpg
    277.6 KB · Views: 653
  • IMG_20180725_1450536.jpg
    IMG_20180725_1450536.jpg
    330.6 KB · Views: 654
Here are two photos that show a similar space as the north/south corridor here in the UK. What I didn't capture in the pictures was the small playground area full of kids that was also part of this. In my mind this should be the basic minimum we are expecting with this development. Anything that involves cars is a failure.
If the lane-way is a one way, single car lane I'll be okay with it. IMO the key to this development is the retail, and having the lane open to cars will help that retail. I'm not even sure Stephen ave has evolved enough to close off after hours vehicle traffic.

Back