1st St Chinatown Tower Development | ?m | 28s | El Condor Lands | Perkins + Will

The illusion of parking and access seems to be critical to otherwise isolated spots. Plus it lets the hotel seek a high * level.

Yeah I don't love the road either but a 1-way, 1-lane road isn't too bad. Though I'd much rather prefer what outoftheice depicted, at least if I were the one living there. I see the need for retail access though.
Really love this one though, design is good and I think it could really revitalize Chinatown.
Is this the building everyone was so up-in-arms about? I think it's a great addition and doesn't take away from the "Chinatown" feel in any way. It enhances and improves greatly upon it.

I haven't been following this extensively and I'm pretty busy right now so I might've missed this while I skimmed through, but is this just a proposal or is this gonna get started soon?

Road might be needed for servicing and deliveries but definitely not for through access.
Yes it appears to be a nice injection of some fine grain retail and focused on the pedestrian scale. IIRC, it's not that dissimilar to the 17th Ave and 4th St SW proposal with their alley-fronting retail (that one isn't wide enough for vehicles I think). If it pans out, this is a really good project for a boost in vitality and local population.

I think that is more of a laneway meant to be for services and loading. Though I too prefer that to be a pedestrian way with provisions set to make this vehicle accessible during off hours like at night for garbage and loading etc which would then revert back to pedestrian use in the morning for markets and such.
For a multi tower development embedding all the vehicle traffic within using an internal laneway is one of the more effective ways of designing this so the overall perimeter of the site retains the pedestrian based charm and warmth while at the same time helping to satisfy some of the naysays who always croak about increased visible traffic. Though I do wonder with so many protrusions of the bldg face in that laneway that somebody will probably hit and clip the corners one day..
I need to see a plan showing their P1 level as it may also be that the bulk of the garbage and loading might actually be happening below the grade.
Overall this is nice and P+W definitely making their presence here which is needed..

I really like this proposal, and I hope the opponents who seem to be a small group of mostly seniors don’t have their way in blocking this. This is a perfect opportunity to get some vibrancy on the west side of Centre Street in Chinatown. At the moment there’s not much there and this parking lot is one of the reasons . It’s s dead zone.
I like what they’ve done with the lane Waze and having retail on the inside, that is very much a characteristic of a typical Chinatown. The high-rise buildings above kind of make it feel more like Hong Kong imo.

@Bokimon, great to see you man.

Hi,
I've Heard of this Project Off/On etc. Haven't had a Chance to Follow it through as such. It Sure Looks like Quite the- Project for Chinatown.. In Looking Over the Posted Web Site as Such I take it a Lot of Thoughts, Designs has Gone into the Project. I Hope this Project Makes if through City Approvals if not Already Done So. As I see it, If
Its Shove ready by Years End, We Can Look Forward to a Very Vibrant Chinatown in a Few Yrs. Time.

Tnx,
Operater,

One of my favourite projects out there. This is the type of development that can really chip away at the old stereotype of downtown being dull, boring and only a 9 to 5 playground. It hits all the right notes; interesting alleyways, unconventional (i.e. small and human scale) retail by today's typical standards, a huge boost in residential density for the area (~551 units + 150 hotel rooms on a base of only 2,100 units in Chinatown currently).

It may not have the same allure or gravity as the flashy Ice District in Edmonton or many of Toronto's mega-mixed use urban projects, but this one is un-apologetically a strongly-focused urban, mixed used design and offers a similar benefit to the core at a smaller scale of those mega-projects. A few more of this size and scale and we got a truly urban, mixed use backbone for the city centre that would shake the tired perception of the core as a 9-5 place for suburban workers.

I am surprised it isn't talked about more because this is what it is all about in creating a more urban and vibrant Calgary.

Last edited:
An underrated project for sure. Maybe not the grandeur of Ice District, but definitely much better than the ICE district for the street level experience IMO. Of course I'm not a fan of the Ice district, IMO it doesn't take much to beat it.
One of my favourite projects out there. This is the type of development that can really chip away at the old stereotype of downtown being dull, boring and only a 9 to 5 playground. It hits all the right notes; interesting alleyways, unconventional (i.e. small and human scale) retail by today's typical standards, a huge boost in residential density for the area (~551 units + 150 hotel rooms on a base of only 2,100 units in Chinatown currently).

It may not have the same allure or gravity as the flashy Ice District in Edmonton or many of Toronto's mega-mixed use urban projects, but this one is un-apologetically a strongly-focused urban, mixed used design and offers a similar benefit to the core at a smaller scale of those mega-projects. A few more of this size and scale and we got a truly urban, mixed use backbone for the city centre that would shake the tired perception of the core as a 9-5 place for suburban workers.

I am surprised it isn't talked about more because this is what it is all about in creating a more urban and vibrant Calgary.

A few screen captures from the CPC presentation:
Chinatown street 1.jpg
Chinatown Street 2.jpg

Attachments

• Chinatown street 1.jpg
    Chinatown street 1.jpg
    201.4 KB · Views: 519
  • Chinatown Street 2.jpg
    Chinatown Street 2.jpg
    227.7 KB · Views: 526
Those stairs :/

Back