BMO Centre Expansion | 25m | 5s | CMLC

So with this project we've essentially traded the poor 1980s era urban design of the Roundup Centre for equally poor urban design and a building that looks like it's from 2009.

Setting aside the poor cladding material choice that requires a photo filter or favourable lighting conditions to look okay - this building does look interesting from Scotsman's hill. However, the vast majority people of are going to be looking at this thing from downtown or the Beltline where we are greeted by a flat brown wall and an expanse of monolithic brick that somehow manages to look even worse than the postmodern red-brick expansion next door.

The most important corner of the project, adjacent to where we are spending $88 million to extend 17th Avenue into Stampede Park, looks like an afterthought. A corner that should have a provision for retail/restaurant space or at least an entrance has a streetscape and landscape treatment reminiscent of a suburban rec centre.

1697736997180.png

^ Agreed. I can't believe they didn't incorporate street retail along the LRT station. Ultimate fail IMO. This would've never been allowed in a city like Vancouver where they optimize TODs. This connects 17th Ave from the west to the east with a blank sterile wall.

I'm quite positive that the internal functioning of the building will be top of the line in terms of what a convention center should be. It will be capable of hosting the biggest conventions possible. In essence, it will do what it is built and designed to do. That is about as far as I will go with the positives of this building.

It does nothing else besides its basic function. As everyone has stated, the public realm is very hostile, sterile, and functionless. Outside of the plaza area, which will only really be active in the summer, there is nothing to attract anyone to linger around the exterior. The facade materials are very dark, oppressive, and heavy. The corner next to the LRT is a complete failure as their isn't even a proper grand entrance as you come off the train. There is no retail or CRU's along any stretch of the building. The overall design is interesting and does provide some nice skyline shots from the SE, but overall it isn't anything earth shattering. it's basically a box with a useless swoopy canopy. They didn't even have the money to make the canopy a true LED projection like the original renders showed. What is it's actual purpose? Overall is this an improvement from the old round up center and Corral? I would say yes, but it leaves a lot to be desired and never went above and beyond what it could/should have been.

It is definitely not a lost cause yet, I think it can still be a great addition. Just a few ideas:

1. The Sparkdome. Build it, it's cool, it's novel.

2. Add mixed-use street-fronting retail along these edges (pretty much already in the plan)
Mixed Use.PNG

3. Lots of trees & street furniture

None of this stuff is that far off from the current plan. I'm pretty optimistic right now. This is definitely more of a "it could be better" scenario rather than a worst-case scenario.

^ Agreed. I can't believe they didn't incorporate street retail along the LRT station. Ultimate fail IMO. This would've never been allowed in a city like Vancouver where they optimize TODs. This connects 17th Ave from the west to the east with a blank sterile wall.
Not to play devil's advocate, but I think this is more a form/function thing. Been to the Music City Centre in nashville, brand new....zero retail presence. Do these "not for profit" type facilities engage in commercial leasing? Biggest challenge is the lack of space available, having to stack everything, when the halls cant have windows. BUT, i will agree, the cladding sucks

I wouldn’t be so quick to judge this project before it’s even complete. I get the desire to have retail on this extension of 17th ave, but I also think it’s ok to have some sections without retail. For example, Toronto‘s convention centre has a giant section facing Front Street, one of the busiest pedestrian streets downtown and has almost no retail. There’s still lots of people walking back and forth and for most of summer, the Jays game completely fills up that street.

The reality is this won’t be a bustling area except during games at the new event centre or a major convention. If there is future development in the area, it won’t be in the vicinity of that wall anyways, more so on the North end of the Event Centre. Even that is probably a decade at least from supporting lots of retail. Hard to justify building retail units that won’t be occupied for 15 years.

Great idea in principle, but the reality is that street front CRU's in Calgary have always suffered high vacancy (ex. Telus Convention Center, Sasso.Virto). Perhaps larger CRU's can be successful on the south side of the 17th extension across the street from the BMO Center.

What's the purpose of the giant asphalt patio in front of the Saddledome? It used to be concrete with those hideous red lanterns. I assume we are stuck with the asphalt as the dome will eventually be torn down (no point wasting money on pavers or concrete), but I wonder if they can come up with a better interim use of this barren space.

Back