BMO Centre Expansion | 25m | 5s | CMLC

It's a 70 foot tall metal sculpture of a water droplet.​

Screenshot (180).png
Screenshot (167).png
Screenshot (178).png

Last edited:
Agreed on the fountains. Calgary could use more fountains in general but the hot desert that is the Stampede grounds in July could especially use some fountains and I would have thought the area in front of the BMO would have been the perfect spot. Even having this art piece (which I don't really like) surrounded by fountains that people could interact with would have made it much better and given the water drop some much needed context.

bulky, bland, incoherent. Nobody should be surprised by this, what of the indigenous installation at COP and ring near YYC. Would this money not be better served by a unique exterior lighting or LED installation, which adds to the vibrancy of the neighborhood, adding to the "spectacle"? Unsure what qualifies as "art", but if 9/10 people cant decipher what something is in the public realm, what exactly is the goal then?

I have to admit the ring (Traveling Light) has really grown on me. It's big, and ugly, and ridiculous, but it's unique. Is there a street light like it anywhere else? It's also the only thing that breaks up the liminal space of the Nose Creek valley near Airport Trail. Tons of people pass through on Deerfoot, Airport Trail, and the railway mainline. But nobody stops there for any reason. The ring is the only thing worth noticing, the only frame of reference.

I can understand not wanting a fountain because of the maintenance costs but they picked a structure that is not of cultural or historical relevance to the area, not usable as a shade in the summer, not usable as a gathering area, and provide zero seating or gathering space. What is the point of this piece other than to say we had an art piece installed.

Back