Votes: 21 38.9%
  • Okay

Votes: 14 25.9%
  • Not Great

Votes: 3 5.6%
  • Terrible

Votes: 7 13.0%

• Total voters
Haha what a joke! That is simply inexcusable in a brand new build this day and age. I already hate the building and this just amplifies it. The unit will sit empty forever as I have no clue who would be willing to take that. Giant fail on this project and makes me shudder what RNDSQs Inglewood project would be value engineered down to.

I think wood framing starts at the third floor. Was there always going to be units at L2 (courtyard level)? Or when they flipped to rental from condo did some of the commercial space at the courtyard level become residential units and subject to a column grid already built..?

EDIT:
Photo would appear to be this unit? Taken in the bedroom?
https://www.rndsqr.ca/cy33-units-2bedflex-se56789olnbvfdr56789plkjhbgvfde4567/unit-206

Seems the level 2 units have concrete columns, though this unit in particular seems to have a lot of columns and in the worst locations.. I suppose a consequence of being a corner unit.

Last edited:
The beam in that room is weird for sure. I don't think there will be many units like that, as the concrete only goes up to the second floor, and then wood frame after that.

I think wood framing starts at the third floor. Was there always going to be units at L2 (courtyard level)? Or when they flipped to rental from condo did some of the commercial space at the courtyard level become residential units and subject to a column grid already built..?

EDIT:
Photo would appear to be this unit? Taken in the bedroom?
https://www.rndsqr.ca/cy33-units-2bedflex-se56789olnbvfdr56789plkjhbgvfde4567/unit-206

Seems the level 2 units have concrete columns, though this unit in particular seems to have a lot of columns and in the worst locations.. I suppose a consequence of being a corner unit.
$2,150 to rent that space!?! Good f*cking luck RNDSQR. Yikes. The floor plan also seems a bit deceiving to me, when you look at the actual apparent space in the photo vs what the plan seems to indicate.

17A1CC14-6E9E-47B4-8C76-754588183DB3.png08C787B7-A3BF-478F-BCB9-8742F61C16E8.png98CC4237-9860-4116-BBEB-77FF31C656F9.png08F9349D-5647-4823-85B3-EF57D4828893.pngA409F068-0DFC-468A-B370-DCDAA301E348.pngD671EE5C-1201-4C07-9ED0-56AD109E9DF8.png046EF3FE-0657-40BF-878C-42116896246D.pngA7DB851E-A807-4FAF-BC98-2E24CD998190.png91A7FFE4-B366-4C23-9733-0CB2BA5FDB25.png

$2,150 to rent that space!?! Good f*cking luck RNDSQR. Yikes. The floor plan also seems a bit deceiving to me, when you look at the actual apparent space in the photo vs what the plan seems to indicate.
Nuts. I've always believed that designs should always be as equitable as possible, especially with respect to accessibility. (ie the Entry) Looking at that unit plan makes me worry that inclusivity is not necessarily at the top of the list for some. Also, that balcony tapers to an extremely unusable area IMHO.

I think RNDSQR dropped the ball on this one, but I do have to respect how they engage, and they do try their best to improve the city.
I generally agree with you but I think they’re being disingenuous in this case by saying that the exterior material was always meant to be corrugated steel, that their model/rendering always showed this, and that the building is turning out how they intended it to look. Either the building was always meant to be corrugated steel and they were purposefully deceitful in they’re engagement by showing a model/renderings that were vague, and the building didn’t turn out how they thought it would, or they made a change to the exterior material because of costs or they couldn’t source the material they originally proposed and it didn’t turn out, because, I’m sorry, but Courtyard 33, you ugly, and there’s no way this is how RNDSQR thought it would turn out!

RNDSQR has delivered some great projects recently that turned out much closer to how they were presented (e.g., Beacon and General Block) than Courtyard 33 did.

I know there are mixed reviews on the forum about the exterior material, and there are some who like it, but I feel like we were sold some magic beans. I love the main floor activation of this building, and the courtyard is a cool idea in theory, but I feel for the neighbours to the north who have to look at 4-5 stories of this eyesore from their backyards, especially because they didn’t pull any of the massing toward the centre of the property due to the courtyard.

Last night I took a deep dive into the Reddit forum and there were a lot of comments from people claiming to be in the industry (contractors, trades people, estimators, etc.) who had very few good things to say about working with RNDSQR. I’m generally a fan of RNDSQR, and think they propose some pretty revolutionary projects, and have managed to deliver on a few great recent projects (Beacon& General Block) but it sounds like their execution may still be lacking. This does make me nervous for some of their more ambitious projects (RNDSQR Block & Flyover Block).

I’m not so concerned about their execution of projects like Arc 33, but I do think RNDSQR will need to be more upfront with stakeholders about the materials they’ll be utilizing. I like the proposed incorporation of brick on Arc 33, but now I’m worried about what the other materials will look like. Honestly, I’d like to see more brick developments like the Spider Block on the Marda Loop Main Street.

Last edited:
If you live on 4 or 6 you can't take an elevator to your floor. You have to go to the floor below and then take private stairs up to your unit. That may be the first time I've seen anything like that done intentionally in new construction.

CY33_Diagram-03.png
I’ve seen this in developments in Toronto. I kind of liked it. It separates the entrance way from the rest of the unit, which is nice for keeping shoes and jackets out of eyeline.

If you live on 4 or 6 you can't take an elevator to your floor. You have to go to the floor below and then take private stairs up to your unit. That may be the first time I've seen anything like that done intentionally in new construction.

CY33_Diagram-03.png
I'm more concerned about the lack of corridors shown here, makes it look like the units are bigger than they are!

Back