News   Apr 03, 2020
 4.7K     1 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 6.6K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 3.8K     0 

Office Space Conversion

Well, whether they sold the building or not, the conversion of Sierra Place to residential seems to be back on:
The work on this building is actually out for tender again.
During today's Council meeting on the downtown strategy, HomeSpace confirmed they are the ones behind this conversion:
108 affordable housing units to hold 180 people, ready in Spring 2022.
1619464204305.png

The location for anyone not familiar:

That’s awesome, the conversion of Sierra Place has been on the books for years. Glad to see it will be affordable housing, couldn’t possibly be in a better spot, right at a station, amenities on the ground floor, parks nearby, the mall, and a grocery store 3 stations away 👌🏼

During today's Council meeting on the downtown strategy, HomeSpace confirmed they are the ones behind this conversion:
108 affordable housing units to hold 180 people, ready in Spring 2022.
View attachment 315336

The location for anyone not familiar:

Great news - the reclad design, not so much... Pretty disgraceful treatment of a heritage building.

Last edited:
I agree that the conversion is great, but the loss of the cladding is sad, especially given that it's across the street from the Elveden Centre, which was built in the same style and same year and is a real classic landmark (including being the tallest building in the Prairies when completed). They managed to build the top 6 floors of Sierra Place in a consistent style in 1980; it's sad if today's architects can't do better than the ones of the late 70s, given the overall quality of late 70s architecture in the downtown.

If I had to choose between the residential conversion and keeping the heritage facade, I'd 100% pick the residential conversion, but I really don't see why this one couldn't be both.

It will be interesting to hear what this group comes up with for recommendations. Uses of floor space other than for offices, is a pretty short list.

1. Residential - I think I read somewhere that it has already been concluded there are only about 4 buildings downtown that are suitable/cost effective to convert
2. Warehouse - not practical in high rises and certainly not cost competitive or convenient for transportation
3. Entertainment/Cultural Venues - depending on where the building is located, it really should be near other similar venues and amenities (i.e restaurants/bars). For example, a building that houses exhibits of some kind and is by itself in a corner of the city somewhere, is not likely going to draw people.
4. Retail - there is already a glut of street level space that is empty. Putting retail on upper floors with no other draw, is a recipe for failure.

Other than an incentive laden blitz to attract more businesses to Calgary, what else can be done?

Last edited:
It will be interesting to hear what this group comes up with for recommendations. Uses of floor space other than for offices, is a pretty short list.

1. Residential - I think I read somewhere that it has already been concluded there are only about 4 buildings downtown that are suitable/cost effective to convert
2. Warehouse - not practical in high rises and certainly not cost competitive or convenient for transportation
3. Entertainment/Cultural Venues - depending on where the building is located, it really should be near other similar venues and amenities (i.e restaurants/bars). For example, a building that houses exhibits of some kind and is by itself in a corner of the city somewhere, is not likely going to draw people.
4. Retail - there is already a glut of street level space that is empty. Putting retail on upper floors with no other draw, is a recipe for failure.

Other than an incentive laden blitz to attract more businesses to Calgary, what else can be done?
I would add...
5. Educational (classrooms, lecture halls)
6. Institutional (e.g. libraries, community spaces)
7. Healthcare (clinics, laboratories)
8. Creative industry (art studios, live/work spaces)

Then there's unconventional ways of doing things. Take retail, for example. Rather than having established businesses with their own units, what about pop-up retail, various types of markets (flea, craft), etc.

5. Educational (classrooms, lecture halls)
6. Institutional (e.g. libraries, community spaces)
7. Healthcare (clinics, laboratories)
8. Creative industry (art studios, live/work spaces)\

9. Hotels or hostels

Those 9 ideas probably cover off all the uses. Residential is a great win if a few buildings can be converted. Ideas 5-8 can make a decent dent. Even if those are smaller venues and usages, if there enough of them they can have an impact.

Back