News   Apr 03, 2020
 4.8K     1 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 6.6K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 3.8K     0 

Urban Development and Proposals Discussion

Yes, the Fire Station next to The Bow and Northwest Travellers Building.

It has been vacant for a year or more.

Would it be appropriate to rebuild a 50 year old restaurant exactly as it was?
If they don't want to trigger a new DP, then yes. These guys don't get a free pass from the development department for their new dream DQ since the first was destroyed by fire. They can rebuild exactly the same way without issue, or go through the same process everyone else in the city does if they want a new development. Rules are rules, despite Corbella's fake outrage.

Last edited:
This building doesn't even look like the left anymore I correct?
We've discussed this a little in the Office Space Conversion thread. Basically, Sierra Place (originally the Dome building) was built as shown on the left in that tweet in 1958 as a four story building, the same year as the landmark Elveden Centre across the street (and in a similar style). In 1980, six more stories were added, but they are fairly consistent in look with the bottom four rather than a Biscuit Block (etc) totally different style.

2889.jpg

This link has more history of the building. There are a handful of good ca. 1958 International style buildings in the area; in addition to Dome/Sierra Place and Elveden Centre, there's the Britannia Building across the alley from Dome/Sierra and the Petro-Fina building across the alley from Elveden. This area was really Calgary's first downtown of the post-war/post-Leduc oil boom era.

To me it's a pity to lose the heritage facade of the building, but I suppose push come to shove I'll take more housing units than an empty heritage building, if both are not possible.

It's not like we can't have both though. The Barron building is an excellent example of this.
Barron project is half-finished and stalled so unclear if it's an excellent example yet.

HomeSpace is building affordable housing so they don't want to spend the $$$ to do preservation.

Given the building is already mostly a 1980 fake of a 1950s style, I am in favour of giving HomeSpace the benefit of the doubt on this one.

We've discussed this a little in the Office Space Conversion thread. Basically, Sierra Place (originally the Dome building) was built as shown on the left in that tweet in 1958 as a four story building, the same year as the landmark Elveden Centre across the street (and in a similar style). In 1980, six more stories were added, but they are fairly consistent in look with the bottom four rather than a Biscuit Block (etc) totally different style.

2889.jpg

This link has more history of the building. There are a handful of good ca. 1958 International style buildings in the area; in addition to Dome/Sierra Place and Elveden Centre, there's the Britannia Building across the alley from Dome/Sierra and the Petro-Fina building across the alley from Elveden. This area was really Calgary's first downtown of the post-war/post-Leduc oil boom era.

To me it's a pity to lose the heritage facade of the building, but I suppose push come to shove I'll take more housing units than an empty heritage building, if both are not possible.

Thanks for the history on it.

Surprised I never noticed the different portions any time I’ve been past it. Usually I pick that stuff out from a distance. Addition definitely blends in if you don’t know to look for it, so was a solid success in those days.

If they can create residential units with retail at the ground floor, that's a win. My biggest hope out of all this talk of revitalizing downtown is for more people to activate the area outside business hours. I read somewhere that there is no Community Association downtown, is that true?

Back