Votes: 11 21.6%
  • 3 So So

Votes: 15 29.4%
  • 4 Not Good

Votes: 9 17.6%
  • 5 Terrible

Votes: 3 5.9%

• Total voters
The eastern half of the market building will have to be torn down to accommodate Green Line construction. We're probably 3 years away from that point so maybe Harvard has decided to move forward with part of the project prior to that occurring?

https://calgary.ctvnews.ca/mobile/b...ast-cafe-after-40-years-in-business-1.5331329

I don't understand how they are 'blindsided' they have known since 2015 that the land was slated for redevelopment.

But at least the water in the pot is continuing to stir on this one. I'm assuming this would have at least some correlation with the redevelopment?
There was plenty of dialogue on social media on this - sounds like the cafe business is stirring the pot with misinformation and lots of retweets without the context as the "big bad city closes local heritage building cafe" story is irresistible.

Apparently they were converted to a month-to-month lease in 2017 in anticipation of the redevelopment, plaza project and flood mitigation work with a 30 day clause to vacate if needed. Also the city didn't charge rent since October 2020 in anticipation of this and gave them 90 day notice instead. The building isn't being destroyed, it's moving to closer to the pathway as seen on all the plans. All that seems fairly generous by landlord standards.

Yeah it seems to me like they're just trying to stoke up support. That being said I'd like to see them remain as the tenant after the building is moved. But I'm guessing it'll be at least a year until they could reocupy the building.

I hope someone better is found as a tenant; I'm sure there's a business out there that operates like a business, rather than trying to get the media involved because they aren't satisfied after six months free rent.

In all honesty, I enjoyed my breakfasts there, but I always thought it would be nice for the plaza and the street life in the area to have that restaurant open for breakfast, lunch and dinner, not closing in the middle of the day.

Man that old building sure has moved around alot. Sounds like the building itself will be okay, which is mostly what I care about.

EvhfrIBVkAMdsaH.jpg

twitter.com/AlanZakrison

https://calgary.ctvnews.ca/mobile/b...ast-cafe-after-40-years-in-business-1.5331329

I don't understand how they are 'blindsided' they have known since 2015 that the land was slated for redevelopment.

But at least the water in the pot is continuing to stir on this one. I'm assuming this would have at least some correlation with the redevelopment?

This is entirely related to the city's revitalization of the plaza and riverwalk, not the market redevelopment whatsoever.

I made a comment on Curiosity Calgary's sensationalization of the issue today and corrected every bullshit assertion they made.

Last edited:
This is entirely related to the city's revitalization of the plaza and riverwalk, not the market redevelopment whatsoever.

I made a comment on Curiosity Calgary's sensationalization of the issue today and corrected every bullshit assertion they made.

Wasn't the original issue though, the 1886 and Barley Mill buildings were in the way of the eventual Riverfront Avenue to Barclay Parade roadway connection through the future new Eau Claire developments and thus the building relocates on the new plaza work. Kind of hand in hand, even though one hand will probably never raise.

TBH a lot of the work around there is establishing sight lines which were never established with the 1980s design, which got worse as trees grew, and if they stayed as they were, would be much worse as the City built up the flood barrier.
As the barley mill isn’t historical, and 1886 had already been modified and moved, it makes sense to modify.

1886 will provide some nice ‘eyes’ on the River pathway from a prominent place, and it will possibly be joined with public bathrooms (and a large expansion of the restaurant/event space), vastly decreasing the cost of the amenity, and increasing the safety.

Back