News   Apr 03, 2020
 4.6K     1 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 6.5K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 3.7K     0 

Urban Development and Proposals Discussion

It's a decent looking development, but with Torode at the helm it would turn out ridiculous.

It's a decent looking development, but with Torode at the helm it would turn out ridiculous.
IDK about ridiculous. Torode's Ingelwood development has come under fire, and while I agree the exterior material choices could have been better, it checks off all the other boxes. It's one of the busiest corners in Inglewood, has a nice rooftop patio and has added to the general vitality of the streetscape. His project on 17th is similar in that, it might not be the prettiest building, but it checks off most of the boxes.

I'm not trying to play devil's advocate, but offer hope ;)

I forgot they did Mission17, it is a good looking building, and the units inside are quite nice too. It's probably the only building of theirs I'd give a passing grade, aesthetically speaking.

Yep. My guess is they weren't counting on the 8th St rail crossing being closed there.
Developer/Planner perspective: It was the old Penguin Car Wash. Unsure what it was before that, old contaminants might be a problem, could be a consideration possibly not though. If anyone has any previous site context it would give more info. CP rail decided to close the road/rail crossing in the last year or two so it seems crossings are limited to only the south not 9 ave se, but its a nice site otherwise. Right on the river and has a lot going for it, but currently i wouldn't touch it, price would be interesting as a slab-on-grade townhouse site. $5.5M is steep I just don't see a sale soon it is speculative on East Victoria Park being more than the gravel parking wasteland than it is. If good urbanism was across the river sure, but its a bus barn and gravel surface parking lots for the forseeable future.

And the answer is ... JEMM, of the Bridges and Centre/16th fame:

"Applicant Submission: In collaboration with JEMM Properties (JEMM), O2 Planning + Design (O2) proposes to redesignate the subject site (223 – 231 9A Street NW) to a Direct Control (DC) based on the Multi-Residential – High Density Medium Rise district (MH-2). Key elements being sought in a DC are a maximum density of 5.0 FAR, a maximum building height of 26 metres, and no minimum parking requirement. This will enable the redevelopment of 5 single-detached houses into a medium-density mid-rise development that aligns with the vision established in the Hillhurst-Sunnyside Area Redevelopment Plan (ARP)."

The no minimum parking piece is the most interesting to me, it mirrors their investment in the Bridges and the way they got that project off the ground with much less parking cost per unit than the neighboring developments. I wish them well and hope this one goes on a similar timeline as the Bridges.
The land use for this one of Jemm's goes to CPC this week. The report is here:

Applicant outreach summary is here:

Nice to see the community association is in support:

Another interesting project for the Calgary area. Water resevoir for Tsuut'ina

Taza-Reservoir-Render-1.jpg
Taza-sust-dia.jpg

Back