News   Apr 03, 2020
 4.6K     1 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 6.5K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 3.7K     0 

Urban Development and Proposals Discussion

So a taste of Heritage Park on the Stampede Grounds? They should partner on this, Heritage Park isn't doing very well these days and having the Stampede promote them would be awesome!
I expect the western displays in the catwalk from Vic Park station thought the BMO and Corral would end up here.

I love the Glenbow and the renovations looks great. It's a pretty good idea to start now while tourism and visitors are down, hopefully they can smash out some of the heavy work before things pick back up. Just out of curiosity, at the bottom of the Glenbow renovation webpage there's a render with some. street art in in Is that the art that going to be installed or is it still TBD?

The University of Calgary Property Group (formerly west campus development group) has been tasked with redeveloping research park, which will be known as the University Innovation Quarter.

No details on what that will look like, but I'm exited that there's movement here. I've always felt like research park is a bit of a let down.

Found some historical stats from CMHC on rental vacancy and stock. Gives some context to the rental boom going on. Note the number of rental units in Calgary in the 90s compared with today. The Beltline and DT were also closer to 3 percent vacancy last year which helps explain the continued project starts

View attachment 280428View attachment 280430

I’m confused on the “units” #. 25 years ago there were 10-15000 more units that there was today. We’ve added so many thousand more over the last decade as well. Have they converted that many to condos over the years?

The University of Calgary Property Group (formerly west campus development group) has been tasked with redeveloping research park, which will be known as the University Innovation Quarter.

No details on what that will look like, but I'm exited that there's movement here. I've always felt like research park is a bit of a let down.

Interesting to see the name change - obviously a reflection in the change of scope (from just the University District and to more).

I’m confused on the “units” #. 25 years ago there were 10-15000 more units that there was today. We’ve added so many thousand more over the last decade as well. Have they converted that many to condos over the years?
Yeah. I'd like to know how those numbers were counted. There was some condo conversion done from 2000 up to around 2008 however most of those were older buildings with a few units. i.e 2 or 3 floor walk ups. With the thousands of purpose rental suites built in the last 10 years, there is no way the total number of suites should be fewer in 2019 than it was say 15 or 20 years ago.
The other data that CMHC would not be able to track easily is purchased condos that are rented out. That number is constantly changing from one year to the next.

Back